Beginner requiring advice.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan Robbins

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am a quite new when it comes to wood working so want some basic advice.
I previously tried making some mortice and tenon joints in what i thought was pine but turned out to be spruce.
My tools were sharp and my technique was correct but was not having much success because the wood seemed quite "flakey".

I have come across some sources of "reclaimed wood", nobody can tell me what wood this is, I have heard that aged wood has slightly different properties when it comes to its ease of working. Is this true? and assuming this is also spruce, would i be better off at sticking to a different joint technique?

http://www.salvo.co.uk/images/userimgs/ ... 9970_2.jpg
Dan

Hi Dan

After a quick google image search i found that pic and 2 more of the same batch of timbers.
http://www.salvo.co.uk/images/userimgs/ ... 9970_3.jpg
While they are salvage timbers. Looking at the ring growth they don't seem that old to me.

I will be machining up some of my old stock reclaimed timber during the week. If you want i can sort some out for you to practice with? :)

hi

that wood you link to would strike me as a poor choice for a beginner lots of nails and bolts to contend with, its probably quite wet if it has been stored outside.

maybe try b&q for a few lengths of planed all round timber about 2 pound 50 a 2500mm length, this would be great for practising joints on.

adidat

thanks for you replies, Carl, thats a very kind offer. :)
I have plenty of old wood here to practise on but was thinking of making a small cabinet now using mortise and tenon joints.
The reason i wanted to use reclaimed wood was because i really like the rustic and worn look of it, but reclaimed hardwood is difficult to source. Even pine would be great. I dont mind contending with a few nails, ill do this over several weeks and do not mind waiting to dry it.
Woodworking is purely a great little escape from work so i'll drag it out for 6 months if need be. :)
I was thinking of using through mortise joints, they are a little easier to cut, especially in rubbish wood.

Have any of you used such reclaimed timber? or can recommend a good source or particular type?
:D
thanks alot, dan

I would say the through tenon on softwood would be slightly more difficult due to the ease of which the timber can break out.
You would need to make sure you clamp ( tightly) a scrap on the through part of the mortice.
Or the best way, but you will need to make sure the timber is correctly squared. Mark out and drill/ chisel from both sides.

I use reclaimed timber, in fact the reason i am machining up timber this week is to start my new bench top :)

Being a chippie i get my timber as and when i come across it on jobs. For instance, the timbers i'm using for my bench top i got when i was just starting out and working for a local building company back in 1996.
Plus a few years ago working up in Burton on a school, i scored some nice old floor boards :)

that's great. it is surprising how much wood is these days. most of the time it is cheaper to buy the finished product than it is to DIY.
I am thinking of making a nice 'rustic' style cabinet for an aquarium. Should be interesting. If you have any spare wood going, i would be more than happy to buy it from you. :)
Dan

If you have any window manufacturers in your area, go to them and ask for any offcuts, I get a fair bit of mahogany that way from their top of the range windows. Some of which are quite big pieces, also any old windows they take out sometimes have good hardwood frames you could break up and use. Soft spruce and other "pine" wood these days is only fit for the bonfire and reclaimed pine is good as long as its old wood, at least 50 years old or its just the modern rubbish.

Ok, thanks for your advice.
Do you know where i could source such old wood in a decent amount? and how i can differentiate spruce from pine?
in what way is ages pine different from non-aged?
Dan

Dan i think the table may just be waxed? It looks very dull / matt in texture.

Replicating it will need to be tried out on samples till you get the desired result.

The timber in the 2nd link is new timber, you can still see galvanised nails on the edges.

OH ok, ok. This is good.
i would be requiring 4x2" posts i suppose for such projects. I will have a look around. if a properly dried piece of softer pine was used, could i still get it to look something like that? How would you recommend finishing? Dan

Finishing it will depend on the final use? You might be better off uploading a drawing of what you intend to make. Then we can offer specific advice.

Depending on what part of brum you are in? A few reclamation yards i know of.

Sheldon timbers - i think it's called. On church lane in sheldon LOL just off the A45

Another one is on the pershore - i think, heading towards stirchley. You come up to an island with a pub on the right. Carry straight on, the one way system and there used to be one just on the right.

It looks like they have left the saw/ machining marks on. It has been stained or they have used a coloured wax on it.

The construction is easy. The sides and rear are tongue and grooved to make panels up. Only the front is a frame, with a door on.

i would be a bit wary of old scaffold boards- particularly the grit and metal that may be embedded in them. i would be very hesitant to put them through my machines, although a stiff brush and check for metal, then an old hand plane or scrub plane could be effective.

You can buy recycled timber from various wood recycling centres around the country, with nails already removed. I went to St Albans Wood Recycling yesterday, and they had a huge range of boards, and the money you spend goes to a very good cause. They were making interesting rustic furniture from scaffold planks. They use belt sanders to clean up these planks. Learn more at www.stalbanswoodrecycling.org.uk. There are similar centres in Brighton, Oxford and Bristol.

B&Q pine is fine for first goes, but even better is tulipwood, sometimes known as poplar, which has a nice even grain and is neither too soft nor too hard.

Nick

Back