Before I submit and buy a new PC. ...Help!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
devonwoody":3sxo6thr said:
An instance the other day when a member complained about is TV recordings being messed about.

He is a Mac man and I assume he cannot get BBC i/player, this applies to other things macs cannot do as well.

???
I can use BBC iPlayer on my Mac which is an old G5 model and not running anything like the latest version of Mac OSX. There may be things I can't do on my Mac, but they are probably things like games which I have no interest in.

Hi

Sorry not sure if you fixed your problem but I have a registry fix that will enable all your .exe files to run.

Malc

Malc":144s9ii5 said:
Hi

Sorry not sure if you fixed your problem but I have a registry fix that will enable all your .exe files to run.

Malc

Thanks Malc. I managed to fix the problem with a complete reinstall. But nothing to say it won't happen again.
I think I am gong to shell out and buy some Anti-Virus. Seems like the safest option.
Norton is a No-No and McAfee also doesn't float my boat!

So I will have a good look.

Cheers
John :D

Benchwayze":25r4d0x5 said:
Malc":25r4d0x5 said:
Hi

Malc

Thanks Malc. I managed to fix the problem with a complete reinstall. But nothing to say it won't happen again.
I think I am gong to shell out and buy some Anti-Virus. Seems like the safest option.

Cheers

John

Try Comodo or AVG for antivirus (or in Comodo's case for the internet suite). Never had issues with AVG when I used to use it and have been using Comodo for some yrs now - without any issues.

HIH

Dibs

Benchwayze":2sf8wixt said:

Hi John,

I was using the free AVG anti-virus but my PC became infected with several viruses which completely knackered it. On my new computer I'm using ESET http://www.eset.co.uk/Home/Smart-Securi ... 4QodnCxT8Q

You have to pay for it but it's not very expensive (scroll down the home page to see the prices). It's really great and I thoroughly recommend it.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

I have been using AVG Free version for years but gave up on it when it started to refuse to update.
Switched to Microsoft Security Essentials which has received good comments - no problems so far?

BBC iPlayer works fine on a Mac's latest OSX.
I have both a Mac (MacBook) and a PC and the Mac wins hands down.
How many people with Macs complain about them - you cannot say that about PC's?
As for a "four figure status symbol" - don't forget the price generally includes a large size high quality monitor.

Rod

Paul Chapman":31r9a42r said:
Benchwayze":31r9a42r said:

Hi John,

I was using the free AVG anti-virus but my PC became infected with several viruses which completely knackered it. On my new computer I'm using ESET http://www.eset.co.uk/Home/Smart-Securi ... 4QodnCxT8Q

You have to pay for it but it's not very expensive (scroll down the home page to see the prices). It's really great and I thoroughly recommend it.

Cheers :wink:

Paul
Thanks Paul.

I am using the free trail at he moment. If it does okay I might well invest!
Hope those Cliftons are all holding up !

Regards

Harbo":1u58krol said:
As for a "four figure status symbol" - don't forget the price generally includes a large size high quality monitor.

Rod

Like the monitor I have Rod?

An LG. Great for a budget LCD! (When I can relax and just write about woodwork for a living, I might well think about a Mac. By then I will be able to afford one! :wink:

Cheers..

devonwoody":2yndt5lg said:
Does that mean I can connect my Yamaha music keyboard using its midi connection to a mac?

You could ask the same question with Windows PCs. Not many computers include MIDI interfaces as standard, in fact most modern music equipment has a USB cable connection which along with the relevant drivers provides MIDI support. Older equipment tends to use the standard 5 pin DIN connectors and to use these you need a MIDI interface. On my PC the Creative Audigy soundcard provides a single MIDI interface (requiring a 15 pin D connector to 5 pin DIN adaptor cable. I've also got an M-Audio Midisport 4 x 4 interface that connects to the computer using USB which gives a further 4 midi ports.

As far as Macs are concerned, they have been used for music applications for years, and like desktop publishing were considered best by many professionals. These days PCs are just as capable for both music and dtp.

Misterfish

My sister has Mac and she cannot send me any Midi music which would play on my Yamaha. I want midi for the advantage of seeing the score also.
The reason I think that midi is a problem for mac is that the system is Roland/Yamaha orientated and perhaps not available to Apple?
Anyway with over 12 years of PC why change ships at my time of life.

Hi Devon - sorry, but rediculous - Macs are totally midi-friendly. far more so than pc. It is incomprehensible that a Mac cannot receive a true midi file from a pc. All of the World's sound studios run Macs, and Midi files are everywhere... blame the pc file (it won't be a pure clean midi file being sent, typical PC behaviour in my experience).

It must be my sister, she is the one with the mac who is having the difficulty then. She could not cope with BIAB format either, perhaps she has got to upgrade her mac to cope with windows. What does that program cost for the mac?

Woody,

If BIAB is 'Band in a Box', then I use it myself. I also have a friend who uses it with a Mac. Although his Mac is a later model, and as far as I am aware, his version of BIAB is different to mine and wouldn't run on a PC. Not sure about that last point, but he certainly does use a Mac for making YouTube vids. I prefer to use Aebersold's backing tracks, and keep the Midi files for practice.

Also I do admit the Mac, built-in webcam has a superior refresh rate to the Logitech I use on my PC.

I started this thread asking for help. which I got in abundance. Like Topsy, the topic 'grewed'! :lol:

Regards

Yes it is band in a box, and I believe a mac version (not full) is available for mac only.

My gut feeling on the subject is that most probably over 75% of computer users are windows and has the most programs available for purchase or free download and the Apple users are basically attempting to drum up mac support so that the industry produce more apps. for their format.
Its like a lot of things in life people vote with their feet and price comes into the equation as well for me.

MIDI files are a standard specification - specifically designed to transfer data between suitable devices. PCs, Macs, instruments and assorted controllers (even mobile phones) should be able to work together without any problem. However, having said that I have found my mobile phone is unable to play some MIDI files.

Have a look at http://www.johnroachemusic.com/pcfaq.html

Misterfish

Back