Before I submit and buy a new PC. ...Help!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benchwayze

Established Member
Reaction score
I had AVG report a virus yesterday, after a scan. It asked me if I wanted to get rid of the virus. Naturally I clicked on yes!

What happened?

The rundll.exe file on my machine was deleted and now no programs will run. Each time i click on a shortcut, I get a panel asking me to choose a program to open the file. Which is ridiculous really as most of the files are exe files anyhow.

I tried to reinstall, but suddenly Windows setup can't find my hard drive. and the BIOS reports no drive present, nor will it auto find the drive. (SATA)
When I leave setup, the PC will boot up as normal. It just won't run any programs except Windows Explorer,and the file copying facility. That was a bonus as I managed to save my files.

I have the laptop, of course, but I find it a strain to use these flat keyboards! So does anyone know what I can do to save my old PC?

If I have to buy a PC with Win 7 on it, I believe I can download a 'skin' for Windows XP Pro, so that Windows 7 will function like XP. I just can't find the post in which I was advised about this!

Thanks in anticipation

John :)

To restore the rundll.exe you might locate a copy of it in the c:\windows\system32\dllcache folder and try copying that to the system32 folder. That's assuming that copy is not also corrupt.

Thanks Mick..
I looked for a copy of the file on the Windows Install disc. But Search wouldn't locate it.

I can't find it on the hard disc in the affected machine because it won't respond to a search. Still, now I know where to look, maybe I can find it manually!

Much obliged.

Format the computer and reinstall windows. Saves you buying new kit. I am buying a new Dell one 2310 as our old Dell has suffered a terminal failure. The wife is great with computers, the previous Fuji managed to catch fire.

Hi, John

If you have saved your files reload it, its the only sure way to get a clean instlation.

Pete

I gave up with PC's 2 years ago

Fed up with virus's

If you do buy a new machine how about a Mac

Arrrr Mac no virus's for 2 years now , Bliss 8)

I love my MacBook but PCs are much cheaper than Macs - I bought the equivalent PC for £500 compared to an iMac at £1200!

Rod

I would do a clean install, it could be that you need drivers for you hard drive before windows will continue.

I had to reinstall. Windows did try to repair my setup, but in the end it was formatting time! l ....... of course! So much for AVG!

Thanks for all the advice folks. I am much obliged.

Regards

And, should you get REALLY REALLY desperate, you can run Windoze on the Mac.

My wife was a PC until she met me. Now it would be a divorce if I suggested parting her from her MacMini. You should hear her. I used to think I was a Macthusiast I am but an egg.

The EQUIVALENT Mac is no more expensive than a PC. Look at the price of the 'good' Sony models. Its an old old chestnut to stop us all changing to a sensible tool. As Allen says, its worth every penny. I'd rather have a second hand Mac than a brand spanking new PC.

I am teaching a woman how to use the Mac at the mo. She keeps saying "but thats so easy', "but thats so obvious", but that so cool" She's right - and considering she is a total technical illiterate shows remarkable common sense.

Harbo":1k9bffls said:
I love my MacBook but PCs are much cheaper than Macs - I bought the equivalent PC for £500 compared to an iMac at £1200!

Rod

That's BS. You can get very good refurbed fully Apple warranted macs for much less than that. Factor in the time you waste waiting for all those av programs to load, worrying if you've got a virus.

Life is too short. Get a Mac.

RogerS":1se1047k said:
Harbo":1se1047k said:

Rod

That's BS. You can get very good refurbed fully Apple warranted macs for much less than that. Factor in the time you waste waiting for all those av programs to load, worrying if you've got a virus.

Macs can get a virus too ...

RogerP":ywo53xwq said:
RogerS":ywo53xwq said:
Harbo":ywo53xwq said:

Rod

My nephew is the digital manager for one of the biggest publishing houses in Europe. I keep asking him if its time to start worrying about a virus now that Macs are getting to be popular and keeps saying "No of course not" Its too much hassle for the nasties to bother trying and its still difficult to break into the Mac system whereas Windoze is an open 'window'.

I've been using Macs since 1985. Never had a problem, never expect to.

RogerP":1a69kg7d said:
RogerS":1a69kg7d said:
Harbo":1a69kg7d said:

Rod

LOL....you are joking, I hope. have you actually read any of this twaddle? Or looked at the date?

Of course there are trojans or phishing attempts but ALL of them require the user to enter their admin password. So no computer on this planet can guard against a dumb user.

LOL....you are joking, I hope. have you actually read any of this twaddle? Or looked at the date?

Of course there are trojans or phishing attempts but ALL of them require the user to enter their admin password. So no computer on this planet can guard against a dumb user.

I'm sure you're right as I know next to nothing about Macs only what I read on the net and some of that says they can get a virus/trojan/malware etc. Maybe they're wrong :(

I'll stick to Linux which I've used for many, many years without a problem.

My wife has a Windows laptop - she's never had a problem either BUT she's blissfully unaware of all the stuff I've installed and the work to maintain it to try to keep it that way :)

Get a mac they are so much better I moved across 3 years ago no regrets. Only downside is I have to use windows at work and find myself shouting at the pc. Never have any problems with macs, they are just so much easier to use and they do exactly what you want have converted 5 people and they all agree why the hell did it take so long. Trust me you wont regret it. If you have an apple shop I would go there and get them to throw in a few free classes so as you get some good quality advice. The genius bar is second to none. Granted they cost more but if you look at the price of old g4 mac laptops they still fetching anywhere between £200-400 and they are 7 years old.

Never used linux but have heard nothing but good stuff.
Just make sure you stay away from the dreaded windows they are a dying bread.

Back