Been Looking at Google Earth...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SketchUp Guru

Established Member
Reaction score
and spying on all you Brits. I see near Nottingham a place called Long Eaton. Is there a Short Eaton as well? :D

It's pretty fascinating just poking around to see what one can see. there are a number of old airfields visible, I found a truck on a barge near Oxford and there's that Lanc photographed in flight. I could waste hours. :roll:

Just gave it a go and, for the first time ever in XP, I got the blue screen of death!

Tried it again... 52 07'01"N 2 23'02W which is my home but all I see is a blur...is this because they don't have any higher resolution data for this location?

Dave..another fun site is www.getmapping.com where they photo'd at pretty good resolution the whole of the UK (I think it was the whole). If you put in WR13 5LW as the post code then you'll see my home...no, not the conglomeration at the top of frame....the wee one down the bottom Rh corner !

Roger, unfortunately they don't have any better resolution for some areas, yet. I imagine that will improve with time.

I'll have to check out that link.

Dave

Hi Dave R,
I used to go to school in Long Eaton. It isn't that long really?

I don't know of a Short Eaton but there is a Little Eaton near Derby which isn't that little.

Cheers,

If you ever get a chance to look at a Gazeteer, Dave, then you'll see we have some really quaint names.

One of my favourites is Wyre Piddle (do you have the same slang term in the US?). Some enterprising individual even went as far as selling bottled 'Piddle Water'!

And just south of Saffron Walden there is Ugley, although I think that the Ugley Woman's Institute has now changed its name. :wink:

Talking of Google Earth. Does anyone know what is at 51*20'39.02"N 0*20'45.61"W? or on Google Maps here:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q ... 4&t=k&om=1

Looks like it has been censored :shock: which is odd because most of the American air bases around Cambridge are shown. Looking at the map it turns out to be next to Trumpers Way which IIRC is where Viglen used to be twenty odd years ago. At least they were there when I went out to buy a disk drive for my BBC computer from them in 1983. Ahhh, those were the days.

Andrew

andrewm":2rvslggk said:
And just south of Saffron Walden there is Ugley, although I think that the Ugley Woman's Institute has now changed its name.

My Aunt used to be (maybe still is) a member of the Loose Women's Institute.

Roger, yes we do have the same slang term. Problem is a manufacturer couldn't get away with using that word on a product label.
I have seen some of those quaint names. I suppose at one time they translated as something else and maybe they just sound odd to my ears.

Andrew, is it really censored or just an anomally in Google Earth?

BTW take a look at http://googleearthhacks.com/ You can find all kinds of interesting stuff there.

Lee, it looks like your shop is a tree. Is that right? That might be appropriate for a woodworking shop. :D

At least you aren't across the hedgerow in the sewage treatment plant. ;)

Dave R":3p8l4bxs said:
Lee, it looks like your shop is a tree. Is that right? That might be appropriate for a woodworking shop. :D

At least you aren't across the hedgerow in the sewage treatment plant. ;)

Ha Ha. No the water treatment works has long been closed. Thankfully.

When I pointed at the spot I was pointing at the building to the left of the tree. Thats my workshop. :oops:

Anyway thanks for looking.

Nick W":3s2nimgo said:
andrewm":3s2nimgo said:
And just south of Saffron Walden there is Ugley, although I think that the Ugley Woman's Institute has now changed its name.

My Aunt used to be (maybe still is) a member of the Loose Women's Institute.

I live just up the road from a Pratt's Bottom :lol:

Andy

The hamlet next to the village I grew up in was called Shitterton. Those with ideas above their station used to pronounce it without the 'h'. Much glee for a ten year old then forced to ask: Oh do you mean .... (with the h added in in bold!)

Cheers

Tim

Who now lives very close to Bagwyllydirt.

Used to drive past a place called Land Of Nod...

And in Middlesbrough there is a road called Forty Foot Road,which is neither that wide or that long.

And a road called Puddlers Lane,which I believe is named after an old steel industry occupation.

Andrew

Back