Beech stool

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fraser

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi
Have just finished making a beech stool for a friend and am a beginner at finishes, just wondered what might be best to finish it with. Don't really have any thoughts either way at the moment as long as its quite clear and something I can use for similar future projects. Someone did mention to me beeswax?
Thanks

fraser":oy27lm9f said:
Hi
Have just finished making a beech stool for a friend and am a beginner at finishes, just wondered what might be best to finish it with. Don't really have any thoughts either way at the moment as long as its quite clear and something I can use for similar future projects. Someone did mention to me beeswax?
Thanks

I think you will find beeswax a bit soft. What about an oiled finish, with a bit of wax over the top. IIRC woodbloke has just done a little cupboard with that, pictures on the projects forum, to give you an idea, albeit that was oak rather than beech.

Hi

I would suggest two or three coats of Danish oil followed by wax applied with fine steel wool and buffed. The Danish oil will darken the wood to a degree so I would suggest trying on a piece of scrap to ensure you like the outcome.

Regards Mick

If you use Danish make sure you wipe off each coat immediately or the oil will start to go off and there will be dull patches. Even leaving it on for two minutes is too long.

I don't really fancy any thing that will make the timber much darker to be honest, so may avoid the Danish thanks

Almost all finishes will darken the timber quite a lot. Wax not so much, but it is probably the least durable finish there is. If going for wax the ready made ones (Briwax or whatever) are more durable than simple beeswax.

If you're really set on not darkening the timber you could try an acrylic varnish. I've used it a couple of times and the one I tried barely darkened the wood at all. It's durable too.

Do have a go with oil on an off-cut though - most timbers really come to life with oil, which helps a lot on a plain timber like beech....

Thanks very much
Could you recommend a Danish for future projects please? Will certainly give it a go!

There's not that much to choose between the main brands. I use Liberon which works fine for me.

Could you use a sanding sealer, knocked back with a wax finish over that? I've used that on a number of projects and like the result. I personally use Liberon sanding sealer and chestnut 22 woodwax. Smells nice too! :)

You could also use finishing oil with wax over the top. I find this darkens the wood less than danish oil.

I'd recommend getting some small amounts of each and testing them on some scraps. See what works for you.

Thanks everyone.
Is finishing oil the osmo poly stuff?
Are these, apart from the Danish, all best applied with a brush? And 240/320 or wire wool between coats? Then the wax...

Search for liberon finishing oil

Osmo is a different thing, but I've heard very good things about it. Check out their website.

Sanding sealer - brush is fine. Finishing oil, apply with cloth. Acrylic varnish — brush or (easier) foam brush.

Back