Beech drop leaf table

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mailee

Established Member
Reaction score
I have just started work on a drop leaf table in Beech. This one has been on the cards for a while and will be an ongoing job in between other smaller jobs, (as usual) :roll: I started this afternoon and got the four legs morticed and tapered. I ended the evening by cutting the sides to length and starting the tennons.
DSCN1680.jpg

Will of course keep you posted as usual. :wink:

Yes every chance Mike, here it is. Well this is how I am hoping it will look eventually. Not too keen on the tiles inlaid in the top but this is the customers choice. :roll:
Stuartstable.jpg

Hi Mailee

Shame the customers don't know any better , going to have to use some very strong adhesive there to hold them in , hope they keep the top up all the time , as it wont take long to pop out if they lower the top to many times , better advice customer to order spare tiles to match, you know what will happen when one drops out. hc

Interesting design, Alan. It looks like you've got too many legs to me so, it'll be interesting to see how that works out. :D When you do the rule joint, don't forget to allow for some clearance between each leaf (when it's down) and the legs, in case the top wants to contract.

Got some more done on the table today. I finished cutting the tennons on the rails.
Dsidestennoned.jpg

I then spent some time making up a jig to cut these rebates into the legs which will have a contrasting wood fitted.
Clegsrouted.jpg

When these were all cut I had a dry fit with the frame so far.
Efirstdryfit-1.jpg

Not looking bad so far even if I say so myself. I will not get much time on it tomorrow as I am back at the Oak wardrobe job fitting the cable outlet now it has arrived. I shall get some more pictures of it now the carpet has been fitted. :D Should look good on my website. :D

Thanks Mailee......that helps no end!

Shame about the top! Your customer's need a design consultant! Anyway....I'm watching with interest.

Mike

Olly I don't think there's any problems with the legs, perhaps just the viewing perspective on the pic, the two at each end are the fold out legs that support the leaves and fold back inside the main legs when not in use

Yes I do agree about the tiles guys. I mayh again try to dissuade the customer from them but he seemed adamant that was what he wanted. No accounting for taste is there? :roll:

Mike Garnham":jqpin91g said:
Shame about the top! Your customer's need a design consultant!
Mike

The phrase we used to use was: "Full of taste and all of it bad!!" :roll:

I would think you'd need a flexible adhesive, maybe a blob of silicon? if adhesive is needed at all?

Looking good so far, keep us posted :D

Richard

What's the cross section at the top of the legs mailee?
I'm fitting in the production of a DL table same as you, I've made the under carriage, but working on the orders of my design consultant, ie, the wife, the legs are only 1 1/4 inches square at the top.
Thus ended any idea of M & T joints.

Roy.

Looking good Alan, As far as sticking those tiles in, I would recomend you get your self some "Sticks like S***". I see your baced in grimsby, the Jackson building center there stocks it. Amazing stuff :wink: .

Richard

Ah! too late Brad already done the first one now:
Ffirstleginlay.jpg

If you mean the rail in between the legs? It is a drawer as there will be one at either end. Not too sure yet if to fit handles on them or rout some finger pulls under them? Still think I am going to have a good talk to the customer about those tiles. :roll: After all I have to display this stuff on my website. :lol:

mailee":k93usqxt said:
Still think I am going to have a good talk to the customer about those tiles. :roll: After all I have to display this stuff on my website. :lol:

I think I'd be tempted to take a picture of it sans tiles and show the client (and use it on your website :wink: ) then if they still want tiles its up to them ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

Richard

I will take your advice there Richard. I will show the customer the table without the tiles and take some pics. He may then change his mind with any luck. I did manage to get a little bit more done today although I have been busy with another job. I got all the legs sanded now the inlays are in and dry fitted it all together. I used screws to hold it together while I work on it but these will eventually be replaced by Mahogany pegs.
GDryfitwithscrews.jpg

I have been building a couple of raised panel doors and a face frame for another alcove unit so this has taken most of my time today. Will keep you posted as usual. :wink:

Hope you're having more luck with yours than I'm having with mine mailee.
Just cut the two gate legs and temporarily clamped them to the gates to find that the table then sits on three legs!
I'm an silly person, I thought, cut them over size, so I checked again, the damn floor's uneven!

Roy.

Latest posts

Back