Beauty of the Beehive...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimi43

Established Member
Reaction score
On another thread my dear friend adidat noticed a little knife hanging on my magnetic tool rack...so I thought I would put it in a new thread to save hijacking the other one...

Beehive was the trademark for Gregory Bros of Sheffield...makers of fine cutlery and edge tools and this is indeed a very fine example of their wares...

DSC_1025handle.JPG

An amazing piece of steel...finely six point pinned in the tang to a pair of rosewood scales and embellished with brass sleeved rivets...

DSC_1025handle-001.JPG

The handle has beautiful finger scalloping...beautifully carved on both sides....

It's a bit late now Chris but I do have some research on this maker...

DSC_1026.JPG

Suffice to say...it's quality steel that holds a terrific edge and I am going to dedicate a few hours tomorrow hitting the new Charnley with it!

DSC_1027.JPG

Cheers

Jimi

you couldnt post another picture with a tape beside so we can see how big or small it is please :D

Webby":2ey352b7 said:
you couldnt post another picture with a tape beside so we can see how big or small it is please :D

A pleasure....

DSC_1028.JPG

After ruining two bootfairs the rain finally relented this afternoon and the sun burst out in Tropical Kent...

DSC_1029.JPG

The wonderful wood figuring shows up now.

Cheers

Jimi

Hi Jim

What an interesting looking old knife, with all the hallmarks of high quality manufacture. Do you have any ideas of its specific function? Perhaps a butcher's knife?

With the rosewood scales and the brass sleeved rivets, it must have been unusually expensive when new.

Evergreen":2aky9y99 said:
Hi Jim

What an interesting looking old knife, with all the hallmarks of high quality manufacture. Do you have any ideas of its specific function? Perhaps a butcher's knife?

With the rosewood scales and the brass sleeved rivets, it must have been unusually expensive when new.

Indeed EG...it certainly feels like a quality knife.

I think that the company was mainly involved in the production of cutlery but I have seen very similar hunting knives in leather sheaths with this mark...so it may be one of those. I am off for three days now and will be looking into the company further....the peining of the rivets certainly has given me a few ideas though...the sleeved one is very well done and looks the biz!

Oh...and it is now darn sharp...hair-shavingly so!

Cheers

Jim

Back