Harry's Brother - Meet THE LUMP

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimi43

Established Member
Reaction score
Recently on the GLOAT thread....it was mentioned by a fine member of this parish that I might have something to gloat about but rather than just say..."yes I do"...I thought I might introduce everyone to Harry's BIG brother...christened...THE LUMP.

The story is a bit complicated so I shall be brief. Our friend Toby has been searching for a box mitre infill for a while and after Harry was discovered...he was determined to fulfil this dream.

On the very same evening he decided to get a beautiful mitre from a fine restorer, I'm sure he will be showing that around here soon...but he also found a rather intriguing "Buy It Now" auction on Fleabay for £70....

$_57.JPG

Not a bad photo but not really enough to see what was going on and I am not surprised that he chose to go with his original plan and pass this one up.

However...thanks to Toby referring it to me I am now the proud owner of a heap of metal and wood in a box, complete with chicken poo and straw.

Presumably they were a REAL barn find!

The infill plane could have been anything...and the mouth could have been the size of the Ganges....so it was a risk but for £70...what the hell.

Well...what a bunch of gems!!

Concentrating on THE LUMP for the moment....I think the chickens didn't just poo over the metal...

20140529_152636.jpg

ALFIE certainly found the aroma interesting....

2014-05-29%2015.59.02.jpg

...which is hardly surprising!!! :mrgreen:

2014-05-29%2016.00.17.jpg

But under all that crud and surprisingly light rust....

2014-05-29%2015.57.38.jpg

...lay a beautiful cast steel, ebony and bronze mitre plane!

Say hello to THE LUMP....

2014-05-29%2017.26.50.jpg

The front infill is stunning ebony...the lever cap is bronze/gunmetal and the rear bed is steel and mahogany.

The Thomas Ibbotson iron is HUGE....

20140529_171710.jpg

....and is virtually unused!! Just need to find something to clamp it up to regrind it as my Tormek guide is far too small!

The mouth is beautiful...

20140529_162517.jpg

Once I get the iron edge straight this will be as tight as the duck's whatsit that probably rusted the plane in the first place!

And as ALFIE demonstrates....

20140529_170558%20(1).jpg

...the rest of the lot ain't too shabby either!

There is a nice skewed rebate and a lovely but fairly modern (by my taste) jointer...though it does sport a nice Ward and Payne iron...

20140529_172011.jpg

....on my most favourite edge tool makers list!

But the Hildick plough plane irons are something else.

They are almost totally unused....

20140529_172335.jpg

...and a complete set and in a nice wooden box too...which is probably why they have survived so beautifully through the decades.

Toby gets these as "commission" for referring THE LUMP to me...

All in all a very nice collection for £70 and so as the seller was on behalf of a local dog rescue home...ALFIE made a little donation so we didn't feel like we were robbing the poor blighters!

Thanks Toby!!!

Jimi

I'm glad everything worked out Jimi, things could of been a lot worse but the gamble payed off,
Lump will be well looked after and used, that's the important thing and who better than you a true craftsman.
And to think this was swimming in chicken poo!! Crazy.

And now I'm the prowed owner of a beautiful set of irons :)
Thanks Jimi, I've been dying for a "SET" of these baby's.

We want an update when lump is at work ;)
And well done Alfie
Cheers mate.
TT

Jimi,

You very kindly posted this tip on my rusty infill page

Just a little tip I found helped with CorroDip.

The downside is that the item has to be immersed and this is not desirable if you can't remove the infill.

If you temporarily smear Vaseline on the wood thickly and just a bit over the transition to the metal the wood will be perfectly protected from any liquid until the metal is restored at which point you can remove the Vaseline with a cloth.

Good work there mate!

Jim

Is this how you tackled the lump ?

Mr_P":1r78rlfu said:
Jimi,

You very kindly posted this tip on my rusty infill page

Just a little tip I found helped with CorroDip.

The downside is that the item has to be immersed and this is not desirable if you can't remove the infill.

If you temporarily smear Vaseline on the wood thickly and just a bit over the transition to the metal the wood will be perfectly protected from any liquid until the metal is restored at which point you can remove the Vaseline with a cloth.

Good work there mate!

Jim

Is this how you tackled the lump ?

Actually no...well not for the body as even though the rust seemed deep at first..it was just skin deep and I didn't want to affect the patina any more than I had to.

No...I got half a lemon and rubbed it with that and a paper towel and then when all the surface rust was gone, I wiped it with an alcohol wipe and then Renaissance Wax.

Citric acid is a fairly gentle solution as long as you neutralize the acid and don't leave it on!

Cheers mate

Jimi

Back