Bathroom cabinet

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mailee

Established Member
Reaction score
I started these yesterday.
Cabinetsassembled.jpg

They are two bathroom cabinets to stand beside a pedestal basin. The cutomer didn't want one large one but two fitted each side of the basin! I made sure I took a template in cardboard for the sink shape. I have got the doors in primer and ready for painting and the insides of the two units are finished apart from the backs.
Doorinprimer.jpg

Mailee, in your opinion is shaping the cabinets to fit up under the sink the best way to do this? I only ask because I have a similar job to do at home in the next week or two but I thought it'd be better to make the tops of the cabinets flat under the sink basin. not so sure now.

I assume you cut out a rough shape from cardboard then trimmed it up accordingly to get the outline? then would you use a sealent to join the cabinet to the sink?

Best way is to use a semi-countertop basin, far easier than scribing to the underside of a pedestal basin. Less likelyhood of teh carcase getting wet as well.

Jason

Yes I agree it would be far easier to have a cabinet basin but the basin is already there, hence the need to template it. The customer also needs it to be removable so my idea is to fit it tight under the basin with a bead of silicone against the bottom. I shall be painting the inside edges at the top as well to make sure if water does get in it will not soak any in. I built my own unit for our bathroom but this was a basin to fit on a vanity unit so much easier.

I finally got the cabinets finished ready for the handles and fitting. I am hoping to get them fitted later this week.
Readyforhandles.jpg

Withdoorsopen.jpg

I still think it would have been better with one unit, but the customer is always right of course. :roll:

What are the made from Mailee?

Lee J. In my experience its worth making from water resistant MDF but just make sure that the basin is not actually touching and seal using a good silicone. The reason for not touching is that despite it being water resist it will still eventually fall apart if damp and a normal basin constantly has water droplets running to the pedestal.

Yes Dave it is made of MRMDF and coated with AC laquer. The tops of the units won't actually touch the basin as there will be a silicone bead between them. I have also coated the insides of the tops and the backs to be on the safe side. :wink:

After work today! I went to fit the cabinets. Here they are in place.
Cabinetinplace.jpg

inplacewithdoorsopen.jpg

It took a little time to scribe them to the basin. I took my time as the basin was an alkward shape with a few curvy bits at the top of the pedestal. Anyway the photos dont do it justice as they fitted perfectly I am happy to say. Customer was very happy with them too which is the main thing. I have a feeling I will be getting more work from them too. Worth the late night after all. :D

Back