basic wood turning book advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

condeesteso

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello - I've searched the forum and found one or two books referred to, but a few years ago. I am not a dedicated wood turner - I make furniture and sometimes it has round bits on it. I don't want to turn bowls, plates etc at all. Any advice please on one basic book so I can use the tools competently, safely, get a clean finish etc.

With thanks, Douglas

Keith Rowley's "A Foundation Course.." is probably the best book, it covers all the basics including safety, setup, chucking, sharpening etc. and the same principles apply to using the tools and technique, whether you are turning bowls or bedknobs.

+1 from me too! Keith Rowley's Videos/DVDs are also very very useful, I can't recommend them enough as it is so much better to see what he means in some of the techniques.

Very many thanks all - unanimous... so I'll get that one, then if I get ambitious I'll try the DVD. Great help, much appreciated. And how much was the Q/R vice Jim??

i`m going to be brave here and go against the grain :) and say before you get keith rowleys book try "the practical wood turner" by f. pain it has a lot of good old fashioned advice especially on using the gouge.

i had this book before i got k. rowleys book and found that a lot of the content had been modernised and didn`t help that much more than f. pains book. the practical wood turner can be bought on amazon for a couple pounds.

f. pain also shows you how to make a cabriole leg which is good if you make a lot of furniture, he also talks about teaching a blind wood turner, wasn`t you was it theblindwoodturner :wink:

I don't think I have ever disagreed with with Bob , but I would suggest anyone BUT Darlow!
Can't stand the guy!

He knows his stuff, yes, but according to him, no one else does. :mrgreen:
He made me wince when I saw him mount stock between spinning centres!

Clever or just 'showboating'?

John :wink:

Benchwayze":3g50q1nc said:
I don't think I have ever disagreed with with Bob , but I would suggest anyone BUT Darlow!
Can't stand the guy!

He knows his stuff, yes, but according to him, no one else does. :mrgreen:
He made me wince when I saw him mount stock between spinning centres!

Clever or just 'showboating'?

John :wink:

I'm no woodturner (but it is on my list to have a go one day). I was just passing on a recommendation that was given to me in addition to Keith Rowley's book which I have here but unread until I decide to have a turn.

Bob

No problems Bob.. As I said Darlow knows his stuff. It's just that I prefer a more humble approach. Maybe I should have said I wouldn't bother with his book again.

No offence meant to yourself.
Regards
John :)

Hi all, and many thanks for all the advice. I ordered the Keith Rowley book off Amazon last night as it seemed a fair place to start. I appreciate that no single book will be the only best one, but I am starting from a very low knowledge base and I need to get some skill before one of us gets hurt. The other one calls itself Coronet, and it has a faint whiff of tank about it.

I can tell you now that in terms of 'one of us' there can only be one 'looser'!

This presumes you oil the primary bearing of course...

condeesteso":1xgg4r5p said:
good point re primary bearing. I'm off in search of any maintenance info on Coronets now...

Click the link for all you need to know about Coronet machines.

http://coronetwoodworking.co.uk/ContactUs.html

My 1971 Major, is still going strong. Changed the shaft once when I upgraded the pulleys.

Solid, dependable and made proper.

John :D

sparkymarky":2fhzlyff said:
i`m going to be brave here and go against the grain :) and say before you get keith rowleys book try "the practical wood turner" by f. pain it has a lot of good old fashioned advice especially on using the gouge.

i had this book before i got k. rowleys book and found that a lot of the content had been modernised and didn`t help that much more than f. pains book. the practical wood turner can be bought on amazon for a couple pounds.

f. pain also shows you how to make a cabriole leg which is good if you make a lot of furniture, he also talks about teaching a blind wood turner, wasn`t you was it theblindwoodturner :wink:

I have Pain's book as well and like it a lot. Good coverage of trade techniques, where efficiency and repeatability really matter. He has a nice dry sense of humour too.

have to say I am knocked out with my Coronet, which I bought from Jim - massive engineering where it matters, no unnecessary frills, but surely capable of doing everything I will ever ask of it - a fan already!! sorry, don't know the model - green, twin bed bars, no1 morse, 4 spd I think...

condeesteso":lipaekzy said:
have to say I am knocked out with my Coronet, which I bought from Jim - massive engineering where it matters, no unnecessary frills, but surely capable of doing everything I will ever ask of it - a fan already!! sorry, don't know the model - green, twin bed bars, no1 morse, 4 spd I think...

Glad it is working out for you....I simply don't need three lathes...and the space freed up suits the belt sander perfectly!

I think it is a No. 3 48" between centres...I am sure I have the handbook somewhere...I will have to do some digging!

I think the main rule to observe is set the tool on the rest before you hit the wood...

The other rules are fairly important too...but you'll get used to it. Most of my turning in the initial stages was without any tuition...I wanted to get to it....but I had a few scares!

Try not to do what I did...start out on boxwood. It is so lovely to turn that anything else is annoying. I wish I had started with a wild wood and then I think I would have appreciated box more! :mrgreen: :wink:

Jim

Jim

Latest posts

Back