basic wood turning book advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
condeesteso":2diywyaz said:
have to say I am knocked out with my Coronet, which I bought from Jim - massive engineering where it matters, no unnecessary frills, but surely capable of doing everything I will ever ask of it - a fan already!! sorry, don't know the model - green, twin bed bars, no1 morse, 4 spd I think...

In the following YouTube video (One of Steve Maskery's) there is a reasonable view of the make of lathe I think you have.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XXftwASnK8

If memory serves me, this is the lathe Record produced just after they took over Coronet. At first I believe they kept the name, Coronet. If they kept the 'over-engineering' principles too, then you have a very good lathe. I wish you the best of luck with it.

John :D

I

Hello John - yes, that RP looks a lot like my old Coronet - twin bed-bars, motor in same place, pulley cover same place etc. I have struggled with a couple of cheap lathes in the past, but the Coronet is quite new to me and totally different, just very solid, smooth, quiet. Quite simple, but I think that's a good thing. I'll take a pic tomorrow so the lathe experts can tell me what I have. Jim who I got it from told me they were acquired by RP, and for a while kept this lathe going, with a re-badge, so it may well be it.
The Keith Rowley book is five star - plain English, clear, logical, not opinionated. I will need to go over some bits more than once - like when he describes the compound movement of the tool, it's hard to follow in words alone... maybe the DVD next - compound I mean 3 things at once - rotation, vertical angle and horizontal angle, all at the same time... not got it yet!
Thanks for all the sound advice everyone.

Douglas

Hi Douglas,

I don't know if anyone mentioned this, but if your lathe doesn't have a 'live' tail centre, then that should be one of your first buys. Much saving of burned timber!
Axminster do them I should think. No. 1 Morse Taper if I recall.

Also, you will find a good strong roughing gouge a real boon. You need one that is much bigger than the ones you usually find in the sets. I like a 1.5" skew chisel, myself, but today there are better skews than my 'flat steel' one. The rest of the chisels in the sets will do to be going on with. And once you get to grips with turning, you'll find you can use a sharp, No. 4 plane, held diagonally, to true a cylinder, between centres. (So my Grandfather told me... :wink: )

I am no turner to be honest, but I can make truncheons... 8) Don't ask why I had to learn to make those! :mrgreen:

Keep the bearing oiled, and I hope you get as much fun out of your lathe as I have from mine, even if I do use it mostly for the 'flat woodworking' attachments that came with it!

Regards
John

It's a Record Power Coronet No.1 - I have found the "handbook".

It's only a little 8 page pamphlet but it has all you need to know...not that there's much to know. It is pre-plastic knobs and lever model....glad you are enjoying it!

Will give you the handbook next time I see you.

Cheers

Jim

Yes, it has a live centre, got a cheap No1 Morse drill chuck for the tailstock so I can make my tool handles with it. K Rowley gave me the impression that start with a big gouge and master that. I have a cheap set but I will definitely get a decent big gouge, partly because I will want to turn spindles a lot (mainly) and it is bound to be a good basic. I'd read somewhere about the plane for smoothing cylinders - will try it. The Coronet is 3 speed by the way (but in wood-turning that's 2 more than me, so we're fine).

Re truncheons: Sorted then - 4 truncheons and a flat bit - that's a table. A bigger flat bit, it's a bed, 3 and a small flat bit is a stool.. you get the idea.

I will get a pic of the Coronet anyway, it looks nice and solid and period British engineering.

at last, here's the Coronet. It does have a second tool rest support, and the long tool-rest. Have oiled the bearings, but the outboard looks like a sealed bearing, and has an allen bolt through the centre, with a washer about 5/8ths / 3/4 dia. Can't work out what that is for, but Jim has the manual for me so I'll have a look at that.
Cracking machine though, enjoying practicing on it!

Attachments

• Coronet1.jpg
    Coronet1.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 10
Nice to see the old lady in it's new home....enjoy it mate!

The bearings on this model are sealed and need no maintenance.

Let's see some turnings before we know you have it! :mrgreen:

Jim

Jim - just knocked out a finial for the portico ( that bloody great slating job I mentioned) - will look really good, 15 feet up :) It's ash by the way, no surprise there.
John - you're on. Do you want them concentric and smooth and stuff?... Your choice, you are the customer after all.
8 fingers, 2 thumbs - still in the game.

condeesteso":2hx4vkaw said:
Jim - just knocked out a finial for the portico ( that bloody great slating job I mentioned) - will look really good, 15 feet up :) It's ash by the way, no surprise there.

You know the rules Douglas...pics or it didn't happen! :wink:

Jimi

Back