Basic Set of Tools

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodworkireland

Reaction score
We're moving house next February, and I hope to have some workshop space for the first time since I lived with my father - who's a pro, so there was plenty of space. :)

So I can finally look to getting properly back to doing some woodwork. As it stands, I have very few tools - only the stuff you need for very basic DIY and flatpack assembly. I'm more interested at this point in hand tools than power tools - although I'd imagine I'll look for a power drill; I don't have the control or the patience for a hand drill. However, since my background is in a fully equipped professional workshop, I've no idea what I'll need as basics. Box-making is the first thing on my list of stuff to do.

I'm guessing a couple of good saws, including a dovetail saw, some decent chisels, hammer, screwdrivers, a few clamps, a vise... anything else?

And when I know what tools I want, what are the best (affordable!) brands available? I'm in Ireland, but buying from the UK is no trouble.

Thanks!
Drew.

Welcome to the forum, Drew.

Might want to add "planes" onto that list methinks :D And before we get carried away, coupla things: What sort of sizes of boxes? Hardwoods, softwoods, evil exotics? Finally, and this is probably most important, define "affordable"? :wink:

Cheers, Alf

Drew

Welcome to te forum.

Now you have opened pandora's box when it comes to hand tools, not that I have many, well not as many as Alf and Philly, Alfs already been along, Philly won't be long in answering.

You wil have to define "affordable" becasue there is a wide range out there and some of them can be expensive like the LN's and Varitas, but they are well worth the money in the long run.

You know the saying, the most expensive tool you can buy is the cheapest.

be very careful here because you can easily be dragged down the slope and end up penniless.

Let us know what your budget is, then the experts will be along.

Hi Drew -

Two power tools to add to the drill... a router, and a sliding compound mitre...I'd stick with a smaller router first, if you use routers at all, you'll eventually end up with a big one in a table.....and still use the small one.

Much depends on the type of work you're going to do...

For hand tools, I'd add:

1) sharpening stones (I like waterstones, 800X, and 6000X(or 8000X)
2) Dozuki saw ... (and a cheap hardpoint "rough" saw)
3) 3 chisels (1/4", 1/2", 1")
4) a block plane, and a jack plane
5) a good rasp
6) a spokeshave

Accessories:
7) Brad point bits (good ones)
8.) Saw tooth/forstner bits (can be cheap)
9) a selection of glues (small bottles... freshness is important!) 1 PVA, 1 polyurethane, 1 cyanoacrylate
10) steel, SS and Brass screws (not drywall!)
11) a good selection of hex bits for driving screws (have multiples)
12) books

By no means a complete list .... just stuff you'll use a lot! :roll:

Cheers -

Rob

Hi guys;

Thanks for the welcome. :) I'm thinking that at present, affordable is something like 100 Euros (~£65) a month between now and February. After that, depending on what way expenses go, there might be a bit more available.

Ideally, I'll be working in Irish hardwoods for the boxes; ash, elm, beech and possibly oak, walnut and yew. But it depends on what comes to hand, really.

Hmm, £65 a month. In that case I'm wondering about the old tool market in Ireland and how you feel about Ebay... Had we added scrapers to the list? 'Cos they're going to be handy. Rob's list is a good starter (nice avatar update, Mr Lee...):

Sharpening stones - Scary Sharp's an alternative reasonably cheap way to get started if you don't have anything already (Google for it and find out more than you ever wanted to know...)
Dozuki saw ... (and a cheap hardpoint "rough" saw) - sounds like the best bet to start with.
3 chisels (1/4", 1/2", 1") - you might try the Kirschen's (non-polished)
Block plane, and a jack plane - the block plane could potentially take a whole month's worth by itself if you want even the most basic one that's an actually pleasure to use. Probably worth it though, 'cos you'll use it again and again. I'd take a look at either the Lie-Nielsen 102 (or 103? Whichever's the low angle one) or the Veritas Apron plane for a balance of economy with a damn fine plane. Jack plane, assuming Ray Iles is still doing them, give him a call about a reconditioned #5 1/2 (many people's choice over a #5). That'll give you a flat sole and good iron for not too hideous cost. Unless you fancy getting into cleaning and tuning old planes yourself, which I wouldn't unless you want to put the woodworking on hold for a while... Wooden planes are a very inexpensive way of getting a working plane of course, but you might not fancy that.
Good rasp - Pass; personally I rarely use a rasp on normal woodworking, but do not underestimate the use of files...
Spokeshave - an old one is the cheapest route with the best likelihood of having a useable tool. The modern one's at anything less than Veritas or L-N standard are just awful now. Ooo, except the Mujingfang is actually really rather good. If you want a fine finishing plane consider their Taiwanese planes too - astonishingly good, at least the one I got.
Square - a decent combination square has multiple uses (did we decide if the Axminster one was any good in the end?) but a 3 or 4" engineer's square is jolly handy.
Rule - go for the satin finish type 'cos they're so much easier to read.
Marking gauge - it's not big, but it is clever and should cover most requirements I should think.

Heck, that's just a start 'cos there are loads of other things, I'm sure, but I'm all typed out.

Cheers, Alf

Welcome to the forum

Here is what I think you should be aiming to accumilate over the next 6 months, luckily Xmas comes within that time frame :D

300mm steel rule
100mm engineers square or Japanese tri/mitre square
300mm tri square
Marking knife
Scalple
3.0m tape

20” jetcut handsaw – fine point 11tpi or Bahco Laminator saw 12tpi
Dozuki saw will do fine cuts and can double up as DT saw for now
Low angle block plane
Jack plane
Cabinet scraper
Chisels 6,12,18 & 25mm possibly set of Japanese ones
18mm paring chisel – Sorbey
Hammer – Cross pein or 325g Japanese
Mallet not needed if using Jap chisels & hammer
Sharpening equipment
Screwdriver – Stanley hex holder ratchet works well

Quick grip clamps
Spring clamps
Bar/pipe/sash/ k-body clamps
Glues
Finishes
Range of abrasives

12-14v cordless drill
3/8” router
Something to work on – workmate will do to start with

Copies of Axminster, Dick and Rutlands catalogues
Books by Andrew Crawford & Peter Lloyd

Jason

rob, i'm really impressed by your subtelty, no blatant model details,
anyone would think you were not a manufacturer :lol: :twisted:

you have 6 months to get the basic, which leaves you at about 600
euros. so i would think that you should look for a combination
of new and used to stop you speeding down the slope.

what you do not say is how much experience that you have,
since that may well angle the direction you take.

for fine work, the japanese saws offer a great deal of control with a
very shallow learning curve in my view. both the ln and lv block
planes will do the most amazing things, even plane mdf or decking wood.
either are worth the months money that they will cost since they
will from the box give you proper tools that work.

next buy the ice bear sharpening kit to start unless you can convince
your father to provide a set that you may have used before.

many marking tools you can buy from somewhere like office world, who
do surpisingly good 500mm steel rules with metric and inch measurements
and often a cork backing which is very useful, also good sources
for other drawing tools, pencils, protractors etc. but i agree prefer an engineers square to a wood one.

you will need some sanding equipment, and sandpaper.

check out some of the lidl offers for some of the tools suggested,
they may not last forever, but will help you get off the ground.
this week they are doing bits etc, and their chisels have recieved
good reports.

you will also need clamps, and some of the new plastic ones
are useful at the start. i have some from jcb which have their
values, and their recently offered drill set at about 20quid has got
good reviews for sheer quantity.

it is an exciting time ,so enjoy it, you may not get the time later.
searching is half the fun, and check out the discount stores, if
ireland has them, for old stock etc, always a good place to start.

paul :wink:

Back