Base for Domino

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DiscoStu

Established Member
Reaction score
I am pretty sure I have seen what I am looking for but can't find it now. Does someone produce a base plate for the domino so that the cutter is centred when cutting into 18mm thick material.

On a number of occasions I've lined the base up 180 degrees out and ended up with sides of joints that don't line up perfectly. I know this is user error but a plate that centred 18mm would solve my incompetence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I should say, expensive in the UK, you could make one easily enough - I got mine from chippy1970 when he ran off a load, best thing I ever bought for the Domino.

I have been sitting here rather hoping another batch of those would appear :wink: .

The Domiplate is from Seneca Woodworking in the US. Have heard positive things in terms of their service to UK buyers, but the cost, plus shipping and duty presumably make it expensive for sure.

Terry.

I did come across them but didn't see a metric version. Is there such a thing? I didn't see a cost but it sounds expensive. Anyone know what thickness of material would be needed to centre on 18mm?

No metric version i am aware of although the imperial version works fine the 3/4" side is a bit more noticbly off center in 18mm ply / MDF but the 1/2" side is a lot harder to see notice. I have one of the original bare aluminium ones i picked up from a member of the FOG (who i seem to remember is also a member here too)

The cost is a tad high if ordering from the US but if you are working with a lot of 12mm or 18-20mm sheet stuff then it makes things more reliable and faster.

DiscoStu":2b2j10i8 said:
I did come across them but didn't see a metric version. Is there such a thing? I didn't see a cost but it sounds expensive. Anyone know what thickness of material would be needed to centre on 18mm?

You don't want an exact centre on 18mm. Here be dragons. You want something close enough that you tell if you have accidentally rotated it before glue-up.

The 1/2 and 3/4 inch ones are perfect.

I have one of chippy1970's - I've never used it apart from a test cut when I got it!

He charged £25 - happy to sell for £20 inc postage. Please PM me if you're interested.

Cheers

Gidon

Wuffles":2pk8aqq4 said:
DiscoStu":2pk8aqq4 said:

You don't want an exact centre on 18mm. Here be dragons. You want something close enough that you tell if you have accidentally rotated it before glue-up.

never thought of this

Petey83":1rcuxk3n said:
Wuffles":1rcuxk3n said:
DiscoStu":1rcuxk3n said:

never thought of this

In my chaotic world anyway.

Someone should snap Gidon's hand off for that offer.

Hi,

I think as discostu started the thread, it would fair to give him first dibs on it. I think its a bit cheeky to sneak in and nab it out from under his nose martincox.

Wuffles":1ph5rlbs said:
I should say, expensive in the UK, you could make one easily enough - I got mine from chippy1970 when he ran off a load, best thing I ever bought for the Domino.
Nice of you to say so :)

With a decent router and a few jigs anyone can make one or just order a Seneca one I think they're imperial but that doesn't really matter. The main thing is that using a plate there's no way that the position of the fence can change by accident.

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

DiscoStu":395xephu said:
I don't understand how a pencil would help me?

Jam it in the mechanism to stop drift.

I was wondering the same as you, about the pencil. How does that solve the question.

I mark my pieces, but having something that gives you the centre on 18mm isn't helpful. Define 18mm exactly on sheet materials. There isn't a centre to 18mm with tolerances of sheet materials.

I pmd you about the item for sale, did you get it?

Latest posts

Back