Basato4 tune-up

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whybob71

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all
I just received my new Basato4. Yesterday I noticed that when I turn on the saw the blade (after tensioning and tracking it) remain centered on the upper wheel, but it moves in and out on the lower wheel. This make impossible to adjust the guides behind the blade.

It might be the poor weld of the blade (I only tried the one delivered with the saw) and I will try some new good blades.

But it might be also that the two wheels have no co-planarity. This should not be a big problem, since the lower wheel might by finely adjusted (there are 4 bolts for that purpose). I removed the table and with the use of a 50" long wooden "straight" edge placed on the two wheels I tried to adjust both wheels (after tensioning). But this might be not accurate and the blade problem has been only slightly reduced.

Can you give me some advices on fine tuning the co-planarity of the wheels? There is something else I should check and adjust?

I want my saw extremely well tuned and, as I usually do with all my machines, I know that I have to spend time to do it.

Hi Whybob,

Try holding a long metal rule or straightedge, 300mm or more, against the back of the blade across the weld point. Is the back of the blade straight or is there a gap or bump relative to the rule ?

This would indicate to some extent whether the blade is the problem, in which event no point fiddling with other stuff till you have a decent blade.

If the blade seems fine then I'm less sure how to proceed, but I would suspect the blade first.......

Cheers, Paul. :D

One thing I learnt with my last machine is to adjust the wheels whilst under tension, i.e. with an average sized blade fitted. It may just have been that my last BS didn't have the strongest frame, and I'm sure it gets less relevent as the machine gets bigger and (one would assume) stronger, but it definitely made a difference.
Like Paul says though, you're pretty much on a hiding to nothing unless the blade is eliminated as a problem first.

Latest posts

Back