Barley twist stretcher required

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DomValente

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

Don't usually post here yours is a skill I do not possess.

Am looking for someone to make me a barley twist stretcher as replacement for broken original, can anyone help please?

Dom

B&Q in leicester have the Trend router lathe for about £30, I believe that you uwill be able to cut barley twists with this.

Thanks Tony,
Leicester is a long way and that would seem un unwarranted expense for a one off.
Perhaps I did not explain that this was for a client and of course suitable renumeration would be involved.

Dom,

I have a Trend router lathe, I have not made any barley twists with it. I a 'proper' turner does not come to your rescue then email me some details and I will check to see if the machine can do it.
One limitation is the pitch of the twist is fixed by the size of the drum the cable winds on.

I think JFC with his legacy could do the job for you.

This is a practice piece I made a couple of years ago. It`s a single bine twist but I can also make twists with two,three,four bines etc.

barley_twist.jpg

Bob,

Very nice, how did you made it?

Router lathe, :D real lathe, 8) swiss army knife and lots of practice? :wink:

DomValente":158hrm43 said:
Hello All,

Don't usually post here yours is a skill I do not possess.

Am looking for someone to make me a barley twist stretcher as replacement for broken original, can anyone help please?

Dom

Hi Dom, do you still have the old one as I might be able to repare it ?

Hi ColinC

Yuh! Life's just that kind.

The client gave the chair to some cowboy who replaced stretcher with plain piece and threw the original out.

Thanks for trying though

Dom

luthier49":30tef1d4 said:
This is a practice piece I made a couple of years ago. It`s a single bine twist but I can also make twists with two,three,four bines etc.
That is a very nice practice piece.
On the next one try to make the spiral ends blending with the square part of the piece. Your spiral breaks before and substracts (just a little) to the beauty of what you have achieved. :)

Latest posts

Back