Bargain deep throat clamps, mini review

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ivan

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been a fan of Tilgear's Urko modular clamps for a while, (especially for jigging up bits to be welded). However I had always missed these beauties! With Bessy's 300mm clamp the best part of 60 quid each at Axminster, I had continued to manage 'just one more time' without.

So, no more hunting for heavy weights to clamp the centre of a panel. These are nicely made (Spain), have one fixed head, are well cast, with a 350mm throat, at £27 each (£100 for 4)+VAT. The clamp will span a thickness of 300mm. Robustly made too, the steel bar is 45x12mm!

Downside: The rather bright green finish - you'll never loose them in the sawdust: but then you wouldn't want to stub your toe on one. Quite heavy, but no real problem if clamping to your bench.

Sounds like they might be just what I'm looking for Ivan, any chance of a link? Maybe I'm not awake properly yet but your post doesn't seem to make clear exactly what product you're talking about.

Mark

Sorry, Mark - partly Tilgear's fault as they don't have a website. You'll need a Tilgear catalogue, the Urko clamp range is on page 81. The deep throaters are the last listed under the heading 'Urko No. 3-P Industrial Clamps' (top left p 81)

The Universal System clamps I have for welding are the 'two moveable heads on a bar' type, but the 3-P Industrial are the usual F clamp style.

The giant ones I've just bought are of this latter type with one fixed head. Tilgear are in the forum's tool dealer list and at 01707 873434 voice, or FAX 01707 870383

Thanks Ivan, I'll give them a ring next week for a catalogue. They appear to be in Potters Bar, hmm... methinks a small detour from AllyPally next week may be in order :wink:

Mark

Urko clamps are also sold through agents of Planet Manufacturing and also by Poolewood and S. L. Hardwoods (see p31 of their PDF catalogue). I met one of Planet's reps a couple of years back and I was impressed by the aparent ruggedness of these cramps. The sash cramps in particular were good value against the Record items

Scrit

MarkW":15huret3 said:
methinks a small detour from AllyPally next week may be in order

Have they started opening at the weekends now, or are you going to AP on the Friday?

They are not open on the weekend and they close the door at 5pm ( I think )but you will not be kicked out if you are still shopping :D

Nick W":1f25vt5p said:
MarkW":1f25vt5p said:
methinks a small detour from AllyPally next week may be in order

Have they started opening at the weekends now, or are you going to AP on the Friday?

Thought I might be going on the Friday, or that I could be really lucky and they were open Saturday. I'm going to AP on Saturday now so maybe I'll get lucky at the show.

Mark

Latest posts

Back