barbaric or a stroke of genius ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ColeyS1

Established Member
Reaction score
I recently stumbled upon this on the bay (sorry to those who i offend by posting the link)
I cant decide whether its a stroke of genius or whether its ruined a good plane. What could it be used for? I've got a few spare plane sole's lying around. other than a galoot style block plane- (looks fantastic :!: :!: by the way Jim,) i cant think of any other uses for them.

What do you chaps think? - genius or barbaric ?

Simon

Hmmm - I can't see this as a scraper 'cos the iron is held at the normal angle and - looking at the second picture - has been ground to a fairly standard bevel.

Therefore the only use I can imagine is as a normal plane action but to get into corners, not a scraper. :?

What do the experts think??

Dave

It's been dropped and broken. Instead of chucking it away someone decided to grind down the cheeks and call it a chisel plane. I've seen similar before. The knob is probably for sale as a separate item.
I've no idea if they work or not.

Oh - Barbaric. It was a nice old Record at one time, old-style crucible steel irons. Might even be a rosewood handle. Worth more as spare parts.

coleysbiscuit":1tzlyhwv said:
What do you chaps think? - genius or barbaric ?
Genius !!!! I'm just off to my shed to hacksaw the front off my Lie-Nielsen...

:shock:

I suppose there's not much else you can do with a smashed plane but experiment, or scrap it for it's remaining useable parts (as smudger says).

Cheers, Vann.

I have made one of those, i should have done a WIP but i missed the first crucial step when i dropped it of the deck of a boat in the shed!!!...it just doesn't work...

Wonder if it would be any good for chipping off old glue.

:lol:- i dare you !!! :wink:

Im going to give this idea a miss then. Is there anything else usefull that can be made with just plane soles? I've got a 05 and an sb3 sole gatheering dust at the moment.

Simon

coleysbiscuit":hfwyg1wp said:

Im going to give this idea a miss then. Is there anything else usefull that can be made with just plane soles? I've got a 05 and an sb3 sole gatheering dust at the moment.

Simon

Go on Simon...an infill....I dare you!!

:D

Jim

I would like to Jim. The thing thats been putting me off is that there isnt a little bar on either of plane soles to lever the blade back with. Could try drilling a bit of stainless bar and bolting it in there i suppose.

Go on Simon...an infill....I dare you!!
I really need to finish off alot of jobs i've already started- but its only a small plane :-k I can feel a new thread starting :roll: :)

Simon

oh...........the bar was only there untill the cap arrived :idea:

coleysbiscuit":3e2mv9nc said:

Simon

Sanding block. I kid ye not.

http://www.frets.com/FRETSpages/Luthier ... fret3.html

BugBear (kidding a bit)

Smudger":21gcumrp said:
It's been dropped and broken. Instead of chucking it away someone decided to grind down the cheeks and call it a chisel plane. I've seen similar before. The knob is probably for sale as a separate item.
I've no idea if they work or not.

That crossed my mind too Dick.

Yes that's it's history. So not barbaric; just rescued and given new lease of life.

Sentimental old Sod Are I not?
:lol:

Back