Banksia nuts

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JFC

Established Member
Reaction score
I tagged a couple of these on to an order from Axminster . Any recommendations on how to turn them ?
I was thinking of cutting the ends flat and centering with the pith :-k

I've only turned one (seemed like a good idea at the time 8) ),but that's basically what I did;trim the ends off to get a flat end,and mounted it between centres:-
Picture053-1.jpg

They have a knobbly outer layer that flies everywhere,then a furry layer that reminds you why dust masks were invented :lol: ,but after that,they are a lot better to work than something with that many holes should be :wink: .

Ended up with this:-
Picture067.jpg

Andrew

I've turned it several times and I like it. It does need the respirator though, especially as it has a lot of "hair" which floats around for ages (looks like the hair on the outside of bull rushes). I like it for making odd toadstools.
I found they work best if you hollow them out then turn them. Here are some pics from last year:
Duiker-mush.jpg

Duiker-threemush.jpg

Those mushrooms are great !
Well i wont be turning them again in a hurry , to start it feels like your in the pipeline of an extractor then the dust , it gets everywhere and has had me itching all over for the last two hours :shock: It feels like i've been rolling around in fibre glass .
I turned a "thing" this morning and tried the mushrooms at the end of the day , both times i got the same itching . Thanks for recommending the mask ! If i turn them again ill make sure ive got the neck and sleeves of my jumper sealed up :cry:

I've got a couple of them baniwotits nuts, got them from the Axminster show last year and have been wondering what to do with them - the toadstools look great so I think I'll have a go at an toadstool forest later on- good job I've got an Airshield tho', looks like I'll need it - Rob

Back