Bandsaws - what make?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

disco_monkey79

Established Member
Reaction score
Afternoon,

I have been looking at various 2-wheel hobby bandsaws, and they all seem much of a muchness, in terms of features. However, before I part with any cash, I was wondering if anyone has any experience of the following, in terms of reliability, usability, build quality etc.

Also, are there any features I should definitely look for? I see ads for larger saws mentioning ball-bearing blade guides. Would stuff like that apply to the sort of machine I'm looking at?

The ones I've seen are as follows:
Charnwood W711
Draper 230mm
Jet JWBS-9
Clarke CBS190

These are all of a similar price. The Draper and Jet have the largest throat size (230mm), but I'd settle for a smaller throat if it meant a better machine.

Any advice?

Thanks!

Jet is the brand with most integrity in your list. The only other brand there that I'd consider is Charnwood. But expect low quality. I rate Jet tools extremely highly.

That said, all of these models look a little Fisher Price to me.

If you are thinking of buying an
Electrum beckum 315, make sure you give it a
good try. I have one and at the moment it is
just a big green Puppy siting in my shed.... :lol:
Good bandsaw if you get a good one..
A lot of good members on here will steer you in
the right direction.
Good luck...&..happy cutting.
alex

If you are going to buy any of those you might aswell save your money and wait until aldi have their bandsaws on sale. usually about £40-50.

harry

Thanks all for the replies. Would it be worth my while spending another £50 or so and getting, say, the Axminster AWSB2? Bear in mind my feeble woodworking skills.

Or are there any good alternatives to the Axminster, suitable for a hobbyist? Apologies for flogging this subject, but if I'm spending £100+ on a tool, I want it to be a good one!

I've had the AWSBS2 for a few months now. It's stood up to everything I've asked of it nicely. I've actually just been ripping some 80mm Cherry with it with no problems.

Whichever one you go for, make sure you bin the blade it comes with asap as they are normally rubbish. I use the Axcalibur ones from Axminster.

Pren - thanks for the reply. I took your previous advice and tried to work out what I want from a saw (to the extent of creating a spreadsheet to compare different models - sad but true!). If the Axminster can handle 80mm, then I reckon it'll more than cover my needs.

Following my brother's experience, I would deffinately steer clear of Axminster. Ordered a bandsaw. Fitted with incorrect length blade plus other faults. returned..and ordered a dearer model..|Arrived with wrong size blade.AGAIN. The mitre slot was sloppy to the extent that it was impossible to make accurate cuts. Complained. Told that to get real accuracy should pay in excess of £600. This time when returning the machine because not fit for purpose was told that there would be a restocking charge. in all, their customer servive was appalling. I now need machinery in excess of £600. You can guess who will not get my order even though all my previous purchases have been through Axminster.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm sorry to learn of the poor service you received, and I'm surprised re the mitre slot. On real cheapo machines that I've seen, the machining on this has been poor, but the Charnwood that I was playing with in a shop the other week seemed really nicely made, and fitted together really well. Of course, the proof is in the cutting...

Someone has suggested "Northern Tools". Anyone had any experience of them? They seem competitvely priced - any idea as to the quality?

Also, my Dad's (approximately 1 million year-old) bandsaw is Inca, and is still going strong - are they still in business? A quick Google search didn't turn up any suppliers.

My first bandsaw was the AWSBS2 and it really is a little gem. I also have a huge Basato 5 but it's the little Axminster that I turn to time and time again. I've always had excellent service (as have many others) from Axminster.

Athough I'm very please with my Clarke Bandit compressor I'm not that enamoured on the quality on their woodworking machines.

I have a DeWalt Dw738, which is slightly dearer (about £250 ish) but is a cracking little saw. Fitted with a good blade, this saw is quite capable of accurately ripping 150mm deep stock.

This saw used to be sold under the ELU brand, which was a very well regarded brand indeed, Dewalt have just painted it yellow and put their badge on it.

Cheers

Aled

hi

i bought mine from axminster it was a return item and it's bloody excellent along with there service which is second to none, mine is axminster SBW 4300 with a 12" cut &16"throat , copes with everything i throw at it , last timber it cut was 4"oak went through straight as a gun barrel as if it was cutting butter . excellent tool and excellent service. hc

Back