bandsaw.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gandy

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi yall.

ive been on the "hunt" for a bandsaw for a year or so, when i started to really get into turning *cough* plug making*cough* but alas, money has always been an issue having now been unemployed for 3 years (and no longer on the dole) money is even more of an issue.

that being said, i do try and follow the "buy cheap buy twice" saying and that being said i'll get around to my question

JET JWBS-9 bandsaw, its ideal for me, bench top, fairly cheap (would like to buy a bandsaw before VAT gose up) i keep hearing how good JET are, but i see a number of companys selling what looks to be the same mechine, give or take a bit here or there, so is the JET worth the extra pennies?

i only really need one to cut stock down (seams to work out cheaper to buy larger and cut half of it into 1/4's) since i make jewellery for stretched ears (and other places) the largest stock id probley 3inch.
as well as cutting smaller bits for use as inlays, and other jewellery such as pendants, ring fronts, etc etc etc

the highest i could probley spend is £150, and that being said my birthday is right around the corner (geting old now) i could very well be cheaky and ask my dad for one for my birthday (and since he'd like one too, im sure he'd use it more if you paid for it :p)

any advice is veyr welcome. had my "wood working" classes at school been any good (some of the stuff ive seen in here kids have made for GCSE's is amazing!) im sur id have known a bit more about bandsaws, and less about drawing, designing, and sawing wood, with blunt saws....

There's a review of this machine on another site, here, which you may find helpful.

Personally, if you're going to be cutting bowl blanks, I think you may be better off with a slightly bigger machine. Don't know what thicknesses you're expecting to cut but I wouldn't usually expect a machine of that size lasting too long if it's being worked to near-full capacity often. Also, many of the parts look very 'plasticcy'... :p

These Elektra Beckum saws (now Metabo) are always worth a look and often go for less than £200. If I had the space, I'd buy one of these to complement my larger saw which is primarily used for resawing. Plenty of guys on the form have these saws and they've all been very happy with them. Even if you have to travel or buy a new fence from Axminster, I reckon you'd get better value for money than with that tiny Jet machine. :)

I have a EB BAS315 I bought second hand. It's a good saw - for the price.
Be aware though, that it does have some weaknesses - particularly the blade guides whose casting can be somewhat fragile (but easily replaced).

Si.

thanks for the links! food for thought.

i doubt id cut much (if any) 3"sq stock, mostly for cutting down smaller bits of wood, and shapes from thin pieces etc maybe the odd bit of thin stock sheet metal and so on, if i had any heavy cutting work needed i'd walk up the road and use a friends bandsaw.

im still thinking the JET, even if its a bit plasticy, ive heard nothing but good things about jet, inc their customer service and since it wont see non stop use, or even heavy use i think it may fit the bill.

i was looking at one of the smaller record bandsaws, but ive been hearing about drop in build quality latly, and poor customer service.

Back