Bandsaw table height

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tony

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi folks , I need some advice on the height a bandsaw table should be from the floor . As people are all different heights , I am guessing there is no legal minimum height , I have looked on the HSE website & others without success . I have asked at work about getting an adjustable stool for our bandsaw , as there are different shifts using it & people of varying heights . The H & S dept do not like the idea of using a stool , although I have used one elsewhere quite safely. There are a few people who are getting back pain , stooped over the bed . ( It is 910mm off the floor) I have used an adjustable stool on castors for some time along with other people & find it very safe , also its a cheap fix . What argument can I use for going down this route , assuming you are not going to tell me it is unsafe , thanks T

It may be a better idea to raise the height of the machine. I would not feel safe operating from a seated position unless a full face mask were worn.

on a serious note around 900mm is standard for worktops , how long are you at the machine at time .

Mine is 1010mm from floor, which is just about right for me (roughly elbow height). I don't see how you're going to get one height that's ideal for everyone.

We never spend too long at the machine , 1hr tops , but my back starts hurting as soon as I stoop down & I am only 5-8". I have noticed another bandsaw on site has been raised by about 6" up to 1020mm , the thing is if you raise it , then the smaller users may struggle ?

Mine's on a stand -which is on wheels which raise it another 125mm ish - 1,190mm :shock:
It works fine for me - my eyes aren't brilliant and most of what I do is quite small. It would be difficult to feed long stuff through regularly at that height.

Ask you H&S people to do a proper ergonomic assessment of the job. They should then look at the combination of people, tools and equipment needed to carry out the job safely. They should be aware (if they're any good) that we're all different and there's a need to consider adjustments for some.

If they maintain the 'don't like it' approach ask why and request sight of the risk assessment to back that up.

I see no reason, depending on the task of course, why a stool might an ideal simple adjustment for some workers.

Just thinking aloud - maybe part of a possible approach if it suits the work and the space - you could raise the height to suit tall people so they don't get backache from stooping.
For shorter users, make up some bits of raised floor, big enough to not be a hazard for them to fall off. (I'm thinking of a couple of pallets, with plywood over the top, with an arrangement of wheels or jacking castors to make them easy to move.)

The height of my table is 1050mm and OK for me. I'm 5' 10" and it lines up with my elbow. I made a plywood stand to set it at this comfortable height.
Not sure how you would set it to suit the 6' and 5' 6" persons - as Andy T says maybe something the size of a pallet would work.

John

Thanks for the advice so far , it has been helpful . Stuartpaul , I will ask about an ergonomic assessment tomorrow & I will ask for the risk ass . Andy T , that's a good idea about making a raised platform , but im not sure they will go for it , all I can do is ask . I have been thinking about the last machine we had , which was quite a bit taller than the present one & I do not remember any of shorter people complaining about it being too high !

Back