Bandsaw - ribbed belt replacement

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StevieB

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a BAS316 bandsaw in which the ribbed belt has split and perished. Got a new one OK but ho do I fit it? I presume I have to remove the lower wheel as the ribbed belt is behind the wheel. I have undone the four bolts holding the wheel at the back and given it a gentle bit of persuasion with a club hammer but to no avail. The only other option is to remove the circlip on the front of the bearing and hope the wheel comes off forwards leaving the spindle behind. I don't have any circlip pliers, hence the gentle persuasion method first :D Typically everything is now shut until tomorrow, but if removing the circlip is the easiest way then I can get some pliers tomorrow.

Any advice appreciated!

Steve

Thanks - I have the manual but it doesn't cover belt replacement, only altering the ratio for different speeds, which doesn't require removing the belt.

Steve

Hi,

I have the BAS 315.

Had to change my belt recently, only needed to remove the circlip then give the wheel a sharp pull and off it came.

Give all the bearings a quick check while its apart.

Regards

Just as a sort of related query. My bandsaw came with the tensioning roller running on the ribs pushing outwards. Opposite to teh way a timing belt is fitted. I changed it, but was shown in the manual running on the ribs which looks really wrong to me. How was yours set up? and which way do others run the tensioner?

Mine (a SIP) does the same. I agree it looks 'wrong', but I had a go at reassembling it t'other way round, and it didn't really fit. I've no idea why it's like that. You have to wind the handle the "wrong" way to increase the tension.

These days I label things like that ;-)

E.

On my BAS 315 The Motor pulley & blade pulley are both ribbed for the drive belt to run on. the tension pulley is not ribbed. The tension pulley is run with the belt ribs running on the flat surface because:-

The motor & blade pulley's have 2 different diameters to enable 2 speeds, the tension pulley is plain to allow the belt to move across when changing speed. If the tension pulley was also ribbed, when changing speeds it would be more difficult to get the belt in line on all three pulleys. If all three were not in alignment it would cause premature belt wear

Hope this makes sense

Regards

Back