Bandsaw Replacement

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ByronBlack

Established Member
Reaction score
I loved my bandsaw, really loved it very much, it was the best tool i've ever got my grubby mits on and I did everything on it, but alas it needed to go, but now I need another, but the workshop has emptied all my available sheckles.

So, what is the hand-tool equivalent of the bandsaw? I need to resaw boards and cut curves. My brief research has led me to either a frame or bow saw, are these the same thing?

Can I make one myself?
What is used for the blade?
How difficult/easy are they to use?
What size do i need?

I would really like to be pointed in the right direction on this one, as my workshop will be a hand-tool only workshop for the best part of a year or two until I can afford any machinery.

Major resawing is possibly the heaviest task to do by hand.

I (frankly) don't do it.

I have a (pro carpenter/joiner) friend with a (big) bandsaw :)

People have done small amounts "just because" (e.g. shaker box bands).

I don't know of anyone, anywhere, doing routine, major, resawing by hand.

Cutting curved shapes with a turning saw, OTOH, is comparatively light work, and fun.

BugBear

Bugbear - I don't intend to loads of re-sawing, but it's something that i'll probably end up doing at some stage, anything smaller than 2" i'll use my festool (pretty much the only machine in the shop).

Excuse my ignorance, what is a 'turning saw' any pics? and whats does OTOH mean? Sorry, having a bit of a dumb morning, still a little hungover from last night :(

It is possible to build your own bandsaw. There's a firm called Gilliom in the USA who do plans and parts for both 12in and 18in wheel bandsaws:

Gilliom Manufacturing, Inc.
PO Box 1018
St. Charles, MO 63302
(314) 724 - 1812

$2.00 for brochure, $10.00 per plan or $25.00 for 4 plans. See here or here for an example. Just thought I'd offer an alternative :twisted:

Scrit

Cheers Scrit! After a bit of civil engineering with the workshop I suppose it makes sense to get into machine engineering as well :) I'll look into in more detail.

Derek - thanks for the link!

OTOH = On The Other Hand

Wanna get confused about terminology? Try here. :twisted: I first washed up on the shores of The Porch at around this time when resawing saws were the Hot Topic, and became a) Very confused & b) convinced I needed to build a resaw frame saw. So I did. Never used the blessed thing; love my bandsaw. Sorry. :oops: A bowsaw though, everyone should have one of them. Sometimes it's the only thing to solve the problem - like cutting out a handle blank when the power's gone off. :wink: Tilgear amongst others sell the blades.

I've got an article on how to turn a bicycle into a bandsaw though, if you've got a willing help to provide motive power... :lol:

Cheers, Alf

BB,
you could always try one of these or even one of these.

I've tried resawing with a ryoba and was not successful. I think because the cross cut teeth on the top of the saw interfered with the rip cut.

I've also used the TS to part saw through a panel and finished with a large rip cut panel saw (see web site below, chisel cabinet). Although easier to control than the ryoba it was still difficult to cut in a straight line.

I too fancy having a go with a frame saw but I doubt the tuit will ever get that high up the list.

Andy

Alf":3dekankp said:
Wanna get confused about terminology? Try here. :twisted:

Well, Adam C. does tend to either use his own conventions, or casually use 18th C names in 20th C conversations...

BugBear

Ah bless him... As it happens I go on the basis they're generically all frame saws too - as opposed to "hand saws"* with no frame to get in the way. Seems to me it's only clear when you add the descriptive rider anyway, so why not?

Cheers, Alf

*Lets not get into hand saws/rip/half rip/panel etc - my head hurts already... 8-[ :lol:

seems i've accidently kicked over an old can of worms.. but plenty of info has been provided, so i'm very grateful!

I do have a jigsaw, hate using it, can't get the cut straight, noisy and uncomfortable - not a fan really, would much prefer an unwired tool.

Jr. Strasil made a lot of his saws and they work better than anything else I've tried.

Here is a picture of him using a large framed saw which he uses for ripping or large resawing. He can get about 3" per stroke with this saw. I could only manage 1 1/2" per stroke but I think I would improve with practice. He has a smaller version he uses for resawing boards held vertically in his bench vise. He uses these pieces for marquetry.

10002-ripping.jpg

Here is a rack holding several of his saws. The delicate turning saw on the end of the rack works like magic. I will be seeing him this weekend and I will steal that saw if possible. :lol: OK, maybe I'll just get his sharpening specs.

10002-saw_rack_3%7E0.jpg

If you want to make your own turning saw. Joel at toolsforworkingwood.com has a great looking new kit.

Roger, thanks for the photo's and information! Is your friend sawing towards him? Could have a very nasty accident if not paying attention :)

I like the look of the kit that you linked to, might be something to think about.

Gives "saw nuts" a whole new meaning. :D
Sawing this way is much easier on the body but it is offset by the time it takes to stand up and adjust the board.

Latest posts

Back