Bandsaw maintenance and advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trigs

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, I got an Axminster 350 hobby last week but have only used other people's in the past, so a couple of questions ... Once a blade is tensioned should I leave it set or slacken after use each day ?

Blade speed, it's set to the slowest just now but when should I use the faster speed ?

I'll mostly use it for re-sawing, bandsaw boxes, and guitars. If anyone has any other advice I'd be most grateful

Cheers

Ideally slacken the tension each day, but don't lose sleep if you don't, it's just to prevent a flat spot on the tyres and that would take a good while. As long as it's not over tensioned the springs and the machine can handle the tension indefinitely without problems, it's the tyres that are the weak point. I use my bandsaw every day so generally only slacken on a Friday night as part of the weekend workshop close down routine.

Slow speed for metals, high speed for wood.

I'm hoping ( I mean REALLY hoping) that my axminster 350 will arrive towards the end of next week.
My advice is to worry more about correct blade teeth spacing for what you want to do than mucking around with the tension.

One blade does NOT do all jobs.

And you'll have seen it lots of times here, but TUFFSAWS blades are the best that I have used.

custard":2cxmg9ia said:
Ideally slacken the tension each day,
NOT Axminster's advice;
From the manual "Do not release the tension on the saw blade when work is complete. The blades and the main saw frame do not respond kindly to constant changes in stress and tension. Only release the tension to change the blade or if the blade is to be removed because the machine is to be ‘mothballed’ for a lengthy time period."

phil.p":gt8yignz said:

???

Still waiting on delivery of Tuffsaw blades, might do a before and after video if anyone's interested, i have some elm to be chopped up

To slacken or not to slacken band saw blades, the perennial question. I have the same machine you're buying and I don't bother and have never had a problem in many years.

This is what Laguna have to say, if they're not the biggest bandsaw brand in the US then they're certainly one of the biggest,

"Note. If you are not using the bandsaw for extended periods of time (overnight), remove the tension on the blade. This will increase the life of your blade and the machine. If tension is left on the machine, flats or grooves can be formed in the rubber of the wheels, which will detract from the performance of the machine and in extreme cases cause vibration. Removing the tension will greatly enhance the life of the machine, bearings and tires."

Carter Products, who make aftermarket guides, tyres and other bandsaw accessories also advise slackening the tension, I seem to remember as well as safeguarding the tyres and the machine they said some blades can get deformed and stretched if permanently tensioned.

I use a Hammer/Felder bandsaw, they give no specific guidance, but talking to their engineers they say ideally remove tension overnight, but in practise you won't come to much harm if you just slacken off when you're not planning on using the machine for an extended period. I take "extended period" to be a weekend, others may interpret that as a fortnight's holiday or a three month shutdown. At the end of the day we're each responsible for our own output and our own machines!

phil.p":mcg04b8r said:
Custard - it's a good point about the tyres. I hadn't thought of that, I only thought about the blade.

LFT!
As in the In the Axminster user manual, says to leave it unless long periods of non use, as Custard said.
Rodders

If I do loosten the blade I leave a notice on the machine to say so, just in case anyone else comes along to use it. I have thought of making a magnetic note to put on the door that saya SLACK as we call our machine Alice.

Even if no one else uses the machine it's still a good idea to hang a warning card as it's possible you'll start it yourself forgetting the blade is slackened off. No need to ask how I know. :oops:

Back