bandsaw help

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davem62

Established Member
Reaction score
hi my first post but been a regular veiwer for tips and advice
have been given an old nu-tool bandsaw bs 14-2 made in 1988 cast iron table and frame i have upgrade with axminsters bearing blade guide , but would like any advice on tensioning the blades as there is no guide on the tensioner or if anyone has on old nu-tool instruction book i could purchase or maybe some advice on good book to purchase

HI Dave
The thing to remember is that the more steel there is in the cross-section of the blade, the more force is needed to tension it properly. So a 1/4 thin-kerf blade needs a lot less tensioning than a thicker 3/4" blade.
I tension mine until it sounds right. Hmm, I suppose that's not much help, but just try it and you'll see what I mean. You should have a clear note, not a dull thud or a strangled Ting!
You should also be able to twist the blade through 90 deg with your thumb and finger. If it won't go that far it's too tight, if it goes further it's not tight enough.
You'll soon get the hang of it.
Cheers
Steve

'Course, he's too modest to say, but Steve's bandsaw DVDs are bloomin' brilliant. They allowed me to get mine working very nicely, along with Ian John's blades (Tuffsaws). Those allow it to cut stuff I thought it couldn't possibly be capable of, and better too.

It's getting a bit formulaic -- get Steve's DVDs and blades from Ian -- but you won't regret either.

And no, we don't get commission... :)

many thanks steve and eric time to part with some birthday money and shall be placing an order for the dvds , probably the full set as they will be of use in the future no doubt

Steve Maskery":ejzp3fbn said:
You should also be able to twist the blade through 90 deg with your thumb and finger. If it won't go that far it's too tight, if it goes further it's not tight enough.

hi steve/guys, i was wondering, is this only the case on large industrial stand-up bandsaws, or does this principle apply also to my kitchen/shed benchtop small black and decker BD339 bandsaw,
as the distance between the wheels that the blade turns on is much closer together on my model (than a big proper one) and would change the amount of twistability maybe?

Steve Maskery":3o9mi3pd said:
I've not yet tried this, but it sounds like a long way round to me.
I remember reading it's about right if it deflects a quarter of an inch if you push the blade sideways...

Also does the type of blade matter - e.g. should M42 be tighter than carbon?

Back