bandsaw help

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

technium

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

I have finally setup my bandsaw with a new 1/2 supertuff premium blade from tuffsaws and feel the saw is setup correctly but am having a little issue with it.

When trying to cut a few pieces of wood ive noticed that the blade itself tends to jump forward toward my every second or so while cutting. it still cuts fine and straight just wondering what might be causeing it to jump ahead slightly each time.

any ideas would be appreciated.

thanks

It sounds as if the weld is not quite lined up right. This is a common fault with bandsaw blades. There is nothing you can do to "tune" this out. Either ignore it or ring them and send it back for re-weld/replacement.
Paddy

I'm a newbie as well... but Tuff Saw is supposed to be one of the best around, so hopefully it's not the blade.

I wrote a similar experience on another thread. I was trying to align my blade onto the correct part of the top wheel but everytime I try tracking it, the blade doesn't move, the suddenly jumps from one end to the other. Turns out that I had too much tension. When I release some tension it was fine. This could be you.

Failing that give Ian (Tuff Saw) a call. Many on this forum has said if there's something that Ian doesn't know about bandsaw blades, it's not worth knowing!

Good luck.

Adrian

Have you 'tuned' your bandsaw so that the blade stays in the right position? See below....

GET THE BEST TUNING FROM A BANDSAW 'Alex Snodgrass of Carter Industries has an excellent video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGbZqWac0jU on a tune up method that works well.

Tuning is only that and nothing else. If you really want to get the very best use of your bandsaw on an ongoing basis, then the Steve Maskery DVD's will show you far more and they are a real investment that you should own. http://www.workshopessentials.com/shop/ '.

CHECKING BLADE TENSION - Flutter test Video's -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chyo9chuwJs and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8zZuDosSy0

Whenever you have put a blade on a bandsaw, ask yourself the following questions:-
....... are you managing to get the blade running freely and central on the top wheel ( without guides or rear bearing near the blade ) with the gullet of the teeth in the centre of the top wheel ? The exception would be with wider blades, as 1/2" and wider may not sit 'centred' on the top wheel).
That's the first priority before closing in guides and thrust bearings. The blade will not be in the centre of the lower wheel as the manufacturer allows the top wheel to be adjusted and tilt to allow tuning.
Is the blade running vertical 90° to the table alignment, front and back as well as side to side?
Once the guides and bearings have been brought to the correct position, (not touching when the blade runs freely) is the blade remaining where it should be when run under power and switched on and off checking several times ?

Are you sure that the tension is correct, or as near as it can be. Each blade could be different, even if it is the same depth, so needs to be checked whenever changing blades.

If all these things are correct, then you should get a true cut unless you are trying to cut the wood too fast and it's filling the teeth with sawdust and pushing the blade out of line and see if teeth are damaged in any way.

Finally, if you have used the blade before, make sure the teeth are clean, as sawdust will stick in the teeth gullet. Cleaning with a wire brush will result in a far better cut before starting a new job, but certainly on a regular basis.
Malcolm

Thanks, I setup the bandsaw the same as Alex Snodgrass and also did the flutter test so think its setup correctly.

I forgot to say that with the original blade it doesnt seem to do it although that is a different size.

I have messaged Ian from Tuffsaws who has been excellent and hes going to send a replacement blade so once I get that I can report back.

thanks

Colin

As mentioned, it may be a weld problem although that would be most unusual for Tuffsaw. Definately the right people to buy blades from all the time.
Malcolm

Alexam":33cjbxr8 said:
As mentioned, it may be a weld problem although that would be most unusual for Tuffsaw. Definately the right people to buy blades from all the time.
Malcolm

yeah great customer service from Ian. Im hoping its just a dodgy one but I will update once the new blade arrives.

thanks all

Colin

Back