• We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

bandsaw for resawing

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

steamboat

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello all. I posted an email recently asking about a bandsaw all the responses where very useful.
I have narrowed my choices down to a second-hand startrite 352 or the Axminster AWHBS450N. I will be doing all sorts on the bandsawing including re sawing so I need a fairly powerful motor. With this in mind would the Axminster be a better buy as it has a 2kw motor and the startrites motor is only .75. Alternatively as I may be able to pick up the startrite for around £300 so would it be worthwhile getting it and upgrading the motor to something more powerful?

Thanks for your help

Blister

Established Member
Reaction score
I would go for the Axminster AWHBS450N

its 2.2 KW 3 HP

Axminster do say the following " The 3hp motor has a soft start arrangement to enable use from a 13A plug in most cases. (If your supply is weak you may have to upgrade to a 16A supply) "

:wink:

eribaMotters

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a new 352 bought a year ago. It has a 2hp motor and cuts 6" thick laminated birch plywood and 8" deep tenons in poplar/tulip wood with no problem [5/8" 6tpi skip blade]. I do not know when they swapped to the bigger motor, so I would check with a phone call on any machine you see advertised. I have previously owned an axi 350 b'saw and presently run one at school. The quality is not up to Startrite, even the cheaper and newer "Chinese" machine that I bought.
If quick you could check out the incorrectly listed Startrite on e-bay. It is down as a 325 and not 352. Listing is due to finish Tuesday 22nd May, 5:40pm

Colin

steamboat

Established Member
Reaction score
thanks for the info. the ebay startrite is the one I am looking at, although I live in Wales my parents could bring it up from Brighton. I thought the Axminster wouldn't be up to the startite and I would rather get a machine that will last, I think I will put in a bid for the machine try it out and If I need to get a new motor I will go down that path.

paulm

Established Member
Reaction score
It's easy enough to upgrade the motor on the Startrites, did it on mine a few years back for around £120 using a 3hp motor from Goldcrest Technology on ebay who were very helpful. Needed a new motor shaft pulley wheel as the shaft diameter was different but was provided by the same supplier. Fitted a car fan belt from Halfords to cope with the extra power rather than the slightly flimsier original drive belt.

It did need a 16a supply running from the consumer unit, but easily sorted, and works like a dream munching through anything to the full depth of the guides, about 11" I think :)

Cheers, Paul