bandsaw evolution

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Alexam":ywi5e8kf said:
Most of us know that Ian Black at Tuffsaw produces the best blades.

In reality, what we know is that most people believe that. Some of us have a different experience. The blades cut extremely well, right up until they snap at the weld every time.

Alex Snodgrass, Steve, Ian Black ... just humans. None of these people will please all of the people all of the time, a statistic that is multiplied exponentially on t'interwebs.

... and Carter stabiliser? I still don't get it. :-D

I think Ian's surname is John....not Black (the Tuffsaws proprietor).

And Naznomad.....to report that Tuffsaw blades snap at the weld every time is taking a sample size of "one" and extrapolating it to the universe when the facts are that a sample size of "the whole of the rest of this forum" experience the opposite effect ie his blades and service are superb. Your comments are dangerously biased to a single point of experience when the evidence to the contrary is overwhelming. I don't understand your agenda? Why would you fly so publicly in the face of the obvious facts? Are you starting up in competition to him? Do you just want to damage his reputation? I don't understand?

Random Orbital Bob":3ci9dlmc said:
Do you just want to damage his reputation? I don't understand?

Not at all, to both questions.

I do not refute their ability to produce a superior cut, but FROM PERSONAL EXPERIENCE I do refute their ability to stay welded in a loop.

And to cycle back to my original point, which fact do you think the more credible and therefore the one which people should trust as the best "fact" to take away from this.....the hundreds of blades used by forum members that didn't break at the weld or the one you had which did?

I've never looked back since using his blades even though I thought I was satisfied with the bandsaw for years. His blades just cut better and last longer. There's the other point that he's just a down right bloody nice bloke. I'd sooner he have my money, than give it to somebody else for an inferior product !!
I'm sure he'd try bending over backwards to rectify the issue- that's if he's even aware of it.

Coley

RogerS":ckr4o9a7 said:
Shift key not working then ?

Is that the best you can say to a constructive argument? Are people not allowed their own opinion unless all grammar & punctuation are correct? If so then I'll be out of a job soon. We shall ignore all content and focus on the nuances.

This may be harsh, but to me that came across as petty and pathetic.

Random Orbital Bob":2jwblatc said:
..which fact do you think the more credible and therefore the one which people should trust as the best "fact" to take away from this.....

That is entirely up to the individual. I offer a recollection of my experience as a purely altruistic gesture.

Monkey Mark":6bjw951f said:
RogerS":6bjw951f said:
Shift key not working then ?

Is that the best you can say to a constructive argument? Are people not allowed their own opinion unless all grammar & punctuation are correct? If so then I'll be out of a job soon. We shall ignore all content and focus on the nuances.

This may be harsh, but to me that came across as petty and pathetic.
I'm really hoping he didn't mean that, if so I completely agree. I really struggle getting words out onto paper. Punctuation and grammar worry the heck out of me.
I've currently got 73 pictures of me step by step making a traditional casement window - I haven't even started fitting the frame together yet :) I thought it'd be useful for people who haven't made one before to perhaps use it as a guide. The thought of adding text to each picture is awful, especially reading comments like RogerS. But does it really matter so longs it's readable ? Fked if I know !

Coley

Love the Snoddy bandsaw video and I am a great believer in Tuffsaw blades and Ian is a great bloke to deal with both have helped me get my bandsaw working a treat and give credit to them both for their professional knowledge.
Jim.

Just to respond to the weld breaking on the blade...do many people here leave their Bandsaw in the workshop for extended periods with the blade fully tensioned?

My Makita 12" has a detension/tension quick release that I try and remember to use when leaving the workshop. Not sure of this has any impact on blade life...

Sent from my MI 3W using Tapatalk

I've wondered that. I leave my 16" Jet fully tensioned all the time, because it has no quick release lever and I am too lazy to slacken the tension wheel off. Doesn't seem to affect it at all.

AJB Temple":2h3qvm9l said:
I've wondered that. I leave my 16" Jet fully tensioned all the time, because it has no quick release lever and I am too lazy to slacken the tension wheel off. Doesn't seem to affect it at all.
Yeah me to ! I've just had a look at the position of the blade
9c0efdba3b4b97cc8062c24422001ef9.jpg

It's nothing like Alex describes in the video bit seems to cut beautifully :lol:
Coley

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Going back to the Alex Snodgrass video this has realy helped me to set up the two bandsaws in my shed and I set them up using his method but not removing the table. He asks you to remove the table so you can see the upper and lower guides easily its more of a pain to see these with the table on but my big bandsaw is the record BS350 and I don't intend to lift that table off by myself the other BS is a Metabo Swift and the guides are more visible on this one.

I have not seen Steve's video's so will not comment except to say you can still sell your video but use streaming. I have 2 multitrack digital recording studios and have paid for coarses on how to set up and use them properly I just log onto the site and put my user name and password in and the coarse is accessable to me anytime I want.

Stuck in the office today, just read this thread end-to-end, cheered me up no end as I always like to spectate at a good punch up :lol:

People keep referring to Snodgrass videos, are we just talking about the one from an American woodworking show where in addition to set up he shows how to fold up a bandsaw blade? Or is there a whole load of content out there in addition to that video which I am missing?

Terry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back