bandsaw evolution

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
NazNomad":2pfblgce said:
Random Orbital Bob":2pfblgce said:
Not only that but what the hell does one read in the smallest room now the Axy catalogue is no more.....I mean, its a scandal :shock:

The Ironmongery Direct catalogue kept me going for a few days.

http://www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk/catalogue/request

You're supposed to read it, not eat it, no matter where you're sitting...

... coat, hat, etc.

RogerS":2kqnqt9f said:
I really wish people wouldn't keep flagging up the Alex Snodgrass videos. Yes, they are free but we've got our very own master video maker and one who has freely helped many a member and contributed significantly to the forum over the years. Making instructional DVDs is his bread and butter. I think Steve deserves a break from constant references to a freebie.

I had not even heard of Steves video until now.
I think people have taken me a bit too literally. What I was saying in a round about way, is a bit of experience will eliminate or at least mitigate a lot of what beginners see as bad bandsaws or blades.
It is the same with everything, but when woodturning a competent person will do an excellent job, producing a good finish and cutting cleanly. A beginner attempting the same job would have more difficulty and likely would produce an inferior product. Most beginners don't expect to produce perfect fault free pieces from the start but for some reason we tend to think we can bandsaw perfectly without knowledge or experience.

When I started this thread i wondered if I would get a response, I am flabbergasted at the result :)

Steve Maskery does very well on here and so he should. He has spent time and money building his enterprise, which benefits a lot of people, particularly newcomers to woodworking. They in turn help and promote him in praising his DVD's and helping him with his projects.

His methods are tried and tested, but other, new ideas come up and I feel sure that he would not expect everyone to think that he has the only answers. The Alex Snodgrass video on bandsaw tuning is one of these new ideas, although he has been around for a long time but on the other side of the pond, so nobody should expect that a new and good method should not be mentioned. It is not a slight on Steve, as he will be well aware and members will continue to mention anything that they feel will help others.
Malcolm

ColeyS1":1gqzumno said:
I was just thinking if a 40 quid bandsaw blade could be resharpened by a professional sharpening company for say 15 quid, it might be worth looking into. I'll give them a bell later.

Coley

I get mine sharpened by North London Saws regularly. The blades are long (don't remember how long but its a big old Wadkin). They don't charge much, again I don't remember but I think it's about a tenner or less. They will not set them though so if the set is ruined they need replacing, they tell me when the blades are no longer viable . I drive past NLS twice a day so it's no hardship to pick them up/drop them off. Obviously it depends on how much you use your saw but I shudder when people on this forum say they've had the same blade on their saw for over a year. When I am using the saw a lot I might get a blade resharpened after a fortnight.
I've never tried Tuffsaws as I have been happy enough with the blades from NLS, I've never had one break, but I believe this is more of a problem with smaller wheeled machines. A couple of times the welds have not been straight enough after sharpening (they cut them and reweld them), I've told them and they immediately swapped the blades out out for new ones.

Paddy

Alexfn":3rq71yco said:
RogerS":3rq71yco said:
I really wish people wouldn't keep flagging up the Alex Snodgrass videos. Yes, they are free but we've got our very own master video maker and one who has freely helped many a member and contributed significantly to the forum over the years. Making instructional DVDs is his bread and butter. I think Steve deserves a break from constant references to a freebie.

ive been a member of this forum for maybe 5 or 6 years years, yes i know my ID says one or whatever but i lost access to a previous email address and had to make another,

anyway, the above comment is absolutely the worst comment ive ever read on here, to be honest its slightly infuriating,

THE worst? EVER? You don't read that much on here then do you? I've seen far far worse in just a few years, HALF the membership you claim to have.

first off this isnt the 90s ive not even owned a dvd player for over 10 years,

you have a computer - that plays dvd's, has done for 15 years, with default windows software.

secondly the majority of people on here give advice freely and expect nothing in return, people on here dont owe steve anything more than any other member,

Steve's DVD content ISN'T advice and he gives LOTS of that FREELY.

third steves dvds are old and over priced (due to the economics of the market thats reachable now) the production on them maybe cut it in the 90s or whenever they were made but it no longer cuts it in 2016

They were made back then, but the content is STILL valid - have any BOOKS over 2 years old on woodworking do you? As for price - if you had one iota of a clue about production values vs market size you'd see he probably didn't break even until after quite a few sales.

forth that business model is old outdated and dead, these days you get your content onto youtube build up a loyal following and get sponsored to make it through patreon.

Err.... have you ever looked in any high street shop in their "media" section? Notice those rows and rows and rows of thin black boxes with pretty pictures on the front? They are called DVD cases, inside are.. DVD's; most have films on them, some of those films are 50 years old and more, still selling. Go figure. Additionally, new content, or revamping old stuff takes TIME, and this TIME costs MONEY in one form or another, so stump up some cash for this new content, of which I'm guessing you personally have generated exactly ZERO or shut up. I do know he had / has plans to do new ones, but his circumstances changed significantly not so long ago, within the last few years, which you would know if you were paying attention (because more than a few far more big hearted forumites than yourself rallied round to help him in is darkest hours), that prevented this.

fifth and a personal one for me, nobody can own an idea and nobody should expect to do a job once and live off it forever, i dont make a one cabinet and continue to collect on it forever, the belief that one can is what has led to stagnation in the creative industry's where people think they should be able to write a few songs and live off the royalties forever, NO! you have to get out there and continue to put out new material and perform in front of a live audience. if we dont then things just stagnate and we get lazy,

Live off it? hahaha that's a joke, he has made it more than clear numerous times in THIS forum, that those DVD's sell so slowly, because people are cheap imho, that he wouldn't even be able to make 1 months rent / mortgage from an entire YEARS worth of sales profits - even when they were new. It was NEVER intended to become an income, he knew his audience was small before he even started, he did it because he wanted to share, and had the ability to do so at that time, because of his previous circumstances.

How many different ways can you / SHOULD you make a jig that performs the SAME function? Make it a few times, refine it, refine it some more. Once it works exactly as intended time after time; tell people about the LAST iteration NOT all of the previous ones.

That is what Steve did. With jigs and methodologies discussed on the DVD's. It's obvious you have not the wherewithal to grasp that either.

As for make new content regularly - why don't you? Put up or shut up.

i want to stress that i mean no insult to steve and very much appreciate his contribution and that of others to this forum.

BS - almost every part of that was insulting and without proper thought, that was as close to a barefaced hatched job as I've ever seen

im sorry for the rant but i felt that the above comment was an insult to the contribution that all members make to this forum and to everyone who freely gives their time to share knowledge

As does Steve, lots and lots and lots - you've just not been paying attention - and obviously have a very skewed outlook if you think that RogerS's post supporting fellow forumite Steve's efforts to promote woodworking was the WORST thing you've read on this forum.

Oh and in case you missed it, and you CLEARLY did, Steve's Dvd's were made so that should you so choose, you could take a small portable dvd player / laptop and have it in your workshop (that didn't have full wifi connection) WHILE you were working.

Like an iPad, only BEFORE iPads were invented, BEFORE a lot of the current youtube warriors even started.

Infuriating you are; angry and impatient.

You owe Steve and RogerS both an apology. A BIG one.

Random Orbital Bob":obemsl50 said:
Wizard9999":obemsl50 said:
ColeyS1":obemsl50 said:
Flicking through Scott and Sargent catalogue tuther night and I notice they sell a fully automatic bandsaw blade sharpener.

And there is the forgotten business case for printed catalogues. Websites let you search for what you know you want, flicking through catalogues allows you to find things you didn't know you needed until you saw one :lol:

Terry.

Not only that but what the hell does one read in the smallest room now the Axy catalogue is no more.....I mean, its a scandal :shock:

You could try the Draper tools catalogue for inspiration - it's an inch thick, so you might be some time....

Monkey Mark":1at9avwc said:
RogerS":1at9avwc said:
Shift key not working then ?

..... Are people not allowed their own opinion unless all grammar & punctuation are correct? ...

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Whether or not they want to try and convey that opinion to the best of their ability is a moot point. Many simply don't bother. They will just rant away and don't even consider bothering to re-read what they have written as to whether or not it makes any sense. It's down to personal values at the end of the day. Oh, and pride in trying to do something to the best of their ability.

I agree with you that not everyone has the best command of the English language. I never criticise poor grammar. Nor spelling although I struggle with that one since many computers (at least on the Mac as I am typing this) will highlight any spelling errors. So if these errors are pointed out, it's just lazy not to bother to go back and correct it. Discourteous, IMO, to the reader as well. But that's my value judgement. You will have a different set of values.

Not bothering to start a sentence with a capital letter or not capitalising i - well, that's just lazy.

RogerS":3ma0prlb said:
Everyone is entitled to their opinion

... unless that opinion is about bandsaw blades that break at the weld. :wink:

RogerS":fqsrlmep said:

I'm afraid it's a free market. If a business model is made unsustainable due to technology or other change that's the way it goes.

Random Orbital Bob":384ok14e said:
To be truthful, I've bought in the region of 20 blades from Ian over the years and I've had just one snap at the weld. I called him and he sent me a replacement which arrived the following morning free of charge. Didn't even ask to see the broken one.

I've had two carbon blades break and was told they were a good while past their life expectancy, a year or more.

I still did buy two more. I was a bit displeased with the packaging of the 1" ripper because it was packaged so that it had such a strong bent in it that it made a noticeable noise and vibration as it passed the guides. It's better now after it's sat in the saw for a month, but when I took it off I could still see the spot. The new blades I got are a bit better in quality except the 1/4" which is a carbon. We'll see how it goes.

DennisCA":3nvih93x said:
RogerS":3nvih93x said:

I'm afraid it's a free market. If a business model is made unsustainable due to technology or other change that's the way it goes.

Yes, quite right. DVD's are old hat, some modern PC's don't even have a drive for them anymore. So much more convenient to view stuff online these days.

woodpig":2298kfm1 said:
DennisCA":2298kfm1 said:
RogerS":2298kfm1 said:

Yes, quite right. DVD's are old hat, some modern PC's don't even have a drive for them anymore.
Really ? Most computers still do.

woodpig":2298kfm1 said:
So much more convenient to view stuff online these days.
And watch it on a tiny little screen? Very handy, indeed. And what's that funny silver thing that I watched a film on last night ? Not everyone wants or is able to stream. DVDs will still be around for a long time.

I did say modern PC's. As for a tiny screen it only takes a press of my finger to flick the content from my iPad to our 50" TV. :roll:

woodpig":3m4wwmyl said:
I did say modern PC's. As for a tiny screen it only takes a press of my finger to flick the content from my iPad to our 50" TV. :roll:

Having just upgraded to a similar smart screen after 15 years at 32", I have yet to discover this 'flicking' technique from my iPad with my finger. Perhaps you should make a video to show me how! lol

Malcolm

It's called casting, if your TV supports it it's pretty easy. Our 3 year old twins figured out on their own, clever pippers, can count to 10 in english and swedish and we haven't even taught them, it's crazy what youtube does.

You can go into YouTube on the TV but I find it much more convenient to search on the iPad then flick it up to the TV.

Thanks. I may try 'casting' sometime, but at my level of absorbtion on new ideas, it may take me a while...... it's an 'age thing'.

Malcolm

I'd say dvds are ever so slightly more convenient than vhs, now more modern options are available.

Coley

ColeyS1":3g4xa1c4 said:
I'd say dvds are ever so slightly more convenient than vhs, now more modern options are available.

Coley

..... far more convenient. I have only just taken out the Panasonic VHS recorder I had in my old setup and it's sitting around to see if I will sell it or tip it with a few VHS films. It has always been good, but eventhe TV went to the tip eventually.
Malcolm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back