bandsaw evolution

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

woodfarmer

Established Member
Reaction score
I have noticed over the years here there is often this scenario.
novice buys new bandsaw but is disappointed by its cutting ability.
asks the forum for advice.
watches Alex Snodgrass video, and does the adjustments accordingly at the same time fits new blade from Tuffsaws.
machine much better.
All of the improvement attributed to the new blade.

I went the same route myself but recently to cut firewood (kindling) I reinstalled the old "useless" relatively fine toothed blade that came with the saw as I didn't mind risking it on reclaimed timber. Oddly enough it now cuts tolerably well. Not as well as a new tuffsaws blade but very usable.

I think we may have over criticised the manufacturers. They have no idea what the customer will cut so it has to be a general purpose blade. It cant whizz through wet logs like a 3 tpi sabrecut. nor through dry oak logs like a super fast cut. But it will soldier on through a variety of woods from 6 inches thick to just under an inch. Maybe we should be a little kinder to the manufacturers. This does not include the Fox F28-194B crapamatic however :)

I really wish people wouldn't keep flagging up the Alex Snodgrass videos. Yes, they are free but we've got our very own master video maker and one who has freely helped many a member and contributed significantly to the forum over the years. Making instructional DVDs is his bread and butter. I think Steve deserves a break from constant references to a freebie.

I just watched the freebie video. Wow, it's amazing. The tight turns he can do with the narrow blades are mind blowing. He makes it look so easy !

Coley

As soon as I got to the part where he said, ''always take the table off the saw'', I stopped watching... so I managed almost 30 seconds of that free 'sales-pitch' video.

My bandsaws never run so well since I adopted the Snodgrass setup. Wish I'd seen the video earlier, I could have saved myself a lot of bother.

RogerS":7iuiryx9 said:
Thanks Coley.
Roger I understand where you're coming from. I have every intention to not just purchase his bandsaw dvd but to buy/view his entire collection !!!! It's finding time to do these things that I struggle with. Ordering dvds, waiting for them to arrive, sitting down in front the tv, making notes and the moments gone. Alexs video is readily available, that's why it's so convenient to watch. I haven't bought a dvd in years, ever since streaming became so popular.
For me, to get the most from an instructional video, I'd need to be watching it in the workshop next to the machine in question. By far the easiest way would be, watch a bit on my phone, pause, make adjustments, watch a bit more, pause and repeat. To do the same with a dvd I'd have to bring in a tv and dvd player or use a laptop in the workshop which is just hassle. I'd consider an instructional video to be a tool. I don't leave my toolbox in the living room, I take it with me in the workshop ;)

Coley

Coley is right. It has been years since I played a DVD. Techology has moved on.

Re: Naz's comment. It does seem a faff to take the table off, but the fact is optimal adjustment is best achieved with it off. It takes a few minutes but most of us don't change blades that often so it is worth it I find. The adjustment method is spot on and that, plus a good blade, makes a huge difference to the saw.

NazNomad":5k6mjxz2 said:
As soon as I got to the part where he said, ''always take the table off the saw'', I stopped watching... so I managed almost 30 seconds of that free 'sales-pitch' video.

I laughed at that, my band saw is an eight foot tall Wadkin, my table might weigh more than the saw he was demonstrating on. There has to be a serious problem before the table comes off.

... but Alex said that a hernia and spinal surgery is totally worth it.

I really didn't see the video as a sales pitch at all- quite the opposite in fact. He just seemed very knowledgeable on how to get the best from a bandsaw and didn't seem at all phased by putting his advice into practice. He made things in that 30minute video that'd take me hours to do. In between making those things, he explains and demonstrates how to set it up then answered audiences questions. I think I envied his confidence and bandsaw setting up capabilities :) That narrow blade and that bearing thing with a groove is gonna be playing on my mind now. If I could get my bandsaw to cut tight curves like that I reckon I'd use the jigsaw much less in the workshop. Must admit I didn't watch the snake bit so perhaps his sales pitch was after that.

Coley

AJB Temple":2shljinc said:
Coley is right. It has been years since I played a DVD. Techology has moved on.

Re: Naz's comment. It does seem a faff to take the table off, but the fact is optimal adjustment is best achieved with it off. It takes a few minutes but most of us don't change blades that often so it is worth it I find. The adjustment method is spot on and that, plus a good blade, makes a huge difference to the saw.

Mm....best of luck with taking your table off every time you setup a new blade!

The fact is that setting up a new blade is simple, as long as you follow a sequence of events in the correct order. To Woodfarmers original point about blades being to blame. Specifically, it's blunt blades that are usually the culprit and it's entirely do-able to sharpen your bandsaw blade in situ with a dremel. They cut literally as good as new if you do this when they go off the boil. My guess is very few people go to the trouble of this simple, if boring fettling operation.

In respect of Snodgrass, his method clearly has it's fans on this forum but I regret to inform that it has no basis whatsoever in engineering logic. Crowned wheels are designed that way to facilitate the movement of the "belt" back to top dead centre. They were from the days before v groove pulleys. A bandsaw is essentially a metal "belt". At least in terms of physics/engineering. So the reason the manufacturers suggest politely in the manuals that tracking should aim to deliver the blade roughly in the centre of the upper wheel, is because they understand this principle. The principle, in case I've failed to make the case, is that crowned wheels are designed solely for the purpose of keeping the blade centred on the tyre. Why then (Mr Snodgrass) would you advise a different position than the one the universe (physics) has deemed (through actual observable experiment) the correct one?

Now, I don't for one pico-second expect any body using a method that works for them will change as a result of this monologue, but personally, I like knowing why I'm doing something before I do it. Call me old fashioned, but I have a tendency to trust engineers over sales people.

With streaming video's on my tablet and using this site for knowledge I can get straight to making jigs.Improving blade cut,finishing my 1st band saw boxes and much more.
All with a quick look on my tablet to wherever I need to be while in the garage.
Love evolution

Richard

I also stream educational material direct in the workshop. I use an ipad as I find the phones screen too small. It's an absolutely fabulous medium to deliver content right where you need it and it's almost like having a digital mentor at your side. Kids do it all the time with whatever they're trying to learn, be it video gaming or violin. Truly excellent use of tek in my view. In respect of Steve's content, I do think you should consider making it available as a download Steve. I appreciate the security concerns but it's got to be the way forward surely?

Yes, I agree taking the table off is not what I expected, but I get better results doing that. I find it a real fiddle to get a new blade on with my 16" Jet bandsaw without taking the table off or at least re-orienting it, especially with a wide blade. Takes me 10 minutes start to finish and I do it once in a blue moon as most of the time I am cutting green(ish) oak. The main issue on my saw is the bottom roller bearing set is a right pain to adjust with the table on. Doesn't need doing often though.

RogerS":27pb0pz1 said:
I really wish people wouldn't keep flagging up the Alex Snodgrass videos. Yes, they are free but we've got our very own master video maker and one who has freely helped many a member and contributed significantly to the forum over the years. Making instructional DVDs is his bread and butter. I think Steve deserves a break from constant references to a freebie.

ive been a member of this forum for maybe 5 or 6 years years, yes i know my ID says one or whatever but i lost access to a previous email address and had to make another,

anyway, the above comment is absolutely the worst comment ive ever read on here, to be honest its slightly infuriating,

first off this isnt the 90s ive not even owned a dvd player for over 10 years,

secondly the majority of people on here give advice freely and expect nothing in return, people on here dont owe steve anything more than any other member,

third steves dvds are old and over priced (due to the economics of the market thats reachable now) the production on them maybe cut it in the 90s or whenever they were made but it no longer cuts it in 2016

forth that business model is old outdated and dead, these days you get your content onto youtube build up a loyal following and get sponsored to make it through patreon.

fifth and a personal one for me, nobody can own an idea and nobody should expect to do a job once and live off it forever, i dont make a one cabinet and continue to collect on it forever, the belief that one can is what has led to stagnation in the creative industry's where people think they should be able to write a few songs and live off the royalties forever, NO! you have to get out there and continue to put out new material and perform in front of a live audience. if we dont then things just stagnate and we get lazy,

i want to stress that i mean no insult to steve and very much appreciate his contribution and that of others to this forum.

im sorry for the rant but i felt that the above comment was an insult to the contribution that all members make to this forum and to everyone who freely gives their time to share knowledge

Mm...kind of difficult to argue with the logic of that. Not sure I would have been quite so strident in my language because after all Steve is a "national woodworking treasure" and has feelings! But the points you make about the way content gets delivered in this millennium are very valid. However, it's not true for everyone, particularly those of a certain age. As for any one person's innovation rate....well that's kind of their business isn't it? I don't think Steve is "expecting" people to give him any favours, neither is he complaining about other forms of media content or delivery mechanisms.. His contributions seem to me to be genuinely trying to help people. I for one might buy his content if it were stream-able though. I suspect we might want to leave Steve as a person out of a discussion on modern forms of media, seems a tad disingenuous to me.

I just need to be able to just view it however I choose. Viewing it once on a telly is o.k, but being able to easily view/stream it in the workshop really ups the stakes on its usefulness. If someone wanted to copy and upload it illegally it wouldn't be that difficult to do. I'd like to think however that people are better than that and will realise he butters his bread from making the videos.That said it seems pointless paying for a dvd,case and delivery that I don't need. I guess I could view it on the telly then somehow get it so I can stream the content on my phone, but life's to short!
Round up all those things and the half hour I felt like watching a woodworking videos been and gone. Alexs filled the hole, the reality is it'd be worth 3 quid to watch it !

Coley

Alexfn":2vjhx575 said:
RogerS":2vjhx575 said:

ive been a member of this forum for maybe 5 or 6 years years, yes i know my ID says one or whatever but i lost access to a previous email address and had to make another,

anyway, the above comment is absolutely the worst comment ive ever read on here, to be honest its slightly infuriating,

first off this isnt the 90s ive not even owned a dvd player for over 10 years,

secondly the majority of people on here give advice freely and expect nothing in return, people on here dont owe steve anything more than any other member,

third steves dvds are old and over priced (due to the economics of the market thats reachable now) the production on them maybe cut it in the 90s or whenever they were made but it no longer cuts it in 2016

forth that business model is old outdated and dead, these days you get your content onto youtube build up a loyal following and get sponsored to make it through patreon.

fifth and a personal one for me, nobody can own an idea and nobody should expect to do a job once and live off it forever, i dont make a one cabinet and continue to collect on it forever, the belief that one can is what has led to stagnation in the creative industry's where people think they should be able to write a few songs and live off the royalties forever, NO! you have to get out there and continue to put out new material and perform in front of a live audience. if we dont then things just stagnate and we get lazy,

i want to stress that i mean no insult to steve and very much appreciate his contribution and that of others to this forum.

im sorry for the rant but i felt that the above comment was an insult to the contribution that all members make to this forum and to everyone who freely gives their time to share knowledge

Shift key not working then ?

When Alex Snodgrass states that taking the table of the bandsaw to help set up the blade correctly, he usually has a small bandsaw and not something with a table that takes two people to position correctly. It is not essential to take the table off. I have never taken the table off on my Record BS400 but found that the Alex Snodgrass video was an inspiration. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGbZqWac0jU

I had previously looked at just about every bandsaw tuneup video around and read a great deal about bandsaws and how to use them. Steve's Maskery's DVD was one of these and the additional information on his DVD's is really a 'must have' item if anyone is serious about getting the best out of their bandsaw, but the Alex Snodgrass method, although slightly different, is a small step forward and a method I would always recommend to newcomers.

As I have said, removal of the table is not essential, but what is essential and probably not adhered to by many, is getting the blade in position with the guides and bearings well away from the blade and making sure it runs under power and stays put. Only then do you bring the guides near to the blade. It does take time, but it's worth it for the results, as many have already found.

Most of us know that Ian Black at Tuffsaw produces the best blades. Just better and an improvement on what was around before he came on the scene. As the Alex Snodgrass method is just so. Both methods will help the beginner.

Malcolm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back