Bandsaw conversion

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AdamMurphy

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I have an old nothing fancy bandsaw for wood and I want to convert it to metal use. Now I have a 24 v motor with reduction gearbox from a stair lift and was wondering would it be possible . I would need to replace the cog wheel for a pulley. What speed is acceptable for a metal cutting say . It's for DIY stuff

I used a 12v 250W DC 9:1 reduction gearbox bike motor on a little Clark CBS190. Only thing I had to do was to make a new shaft for the gearbox output, so it had the same end as the original motor. I just made a completely new shaft in high tensile steel. Variable speed controller on the motor and I can run it down to below 1/10 of the original motor speed. Works a treat. You just need to do some calculations given the diameter of the wheels so you can work out what shaft speed you need for your desired blade speed. Variable speed is handy for cutting different materials and thicknesses.

I used a 12v 250W DC 9:1 reduction gearbox bike motor on a little Clark CBS190. Only thing I had to do was to make a new shaft for the gearbox output, so it had the same end as the original motor. I just made a completely new shaft in high tensile steel. Variable speed controller on the motor and I can run it down to below 1/10 of the original motor speed. Works a treat. You just need to do some calculations given the diameter of the wheels so you can work out what shaft speed you need for your desired blade speed. Variable speed is handy for cutting different materials and thicknesses.
Thank for that fergie 307

Latest posts

Back