Bandsaw bearing help

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eatsleepdrink

Reaction score
Afternoon all,

I have a Draper BS305 305mm bandsaw (stock No.61630) with a truly destroyed thrust bearing (see attached pic). This is how the bearing came when I bought the band saw but haven't had the chance to get it swapped out.

How do you go about getting a bearing to fit, I have managed to find a replacement arm https://www.powertoolwarehouse.co.uk/draper-62617-swing-arm-d.html but not a bearing that definitely fits it? Emailing Draper hasn't got me anywhere.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Ollie

Attachments

• IMG_0489.JPG
    IMG_0489.JPG
    215.3 KB · Views: 225
Measure the size of the shaft and outside of the bearing and go to your local supplier and get a 2RS bearing (two rubber seals)

It will be a push fit onto the shaft, I have had to cut them off with a dermel and cutting disk before, make sure you tap the new home only using the inner race of the bearing, a socket of the right size helps.

Pete

Bearings have the size stamped on them. it will be the inner and outer dimensions. That one is pretty chewed up due to the owner not setting the blade correctly, but normally the side bearings are the same as the back. bearings are easily available from ebay iof you dont have a nearby engineering shop.

You just may be lucky.

The crud on the bearing looks like the dried grease from inside the bearing. Under it in the picture I can see the previous outer bearing and on is some etched/engraved letters. Try removing the grease and seeing if there are any letters on the remaining outer bearing surface.

Thinking about it, you done even need to read the numbers. Just measure the internal and external diameters.
job done.

I have a draper 350 and had the same problem mine are 7mm ID 22mm OD 7 mm thick part number was 627Z. Got 10 of e bay for £2.99. Came from China but only took a week.

I wonder how tricky it would be to get the bearing mounted the other way round so the blade was running with the bearing rotation rather than on the side.

Not easy at all to rotate that bearing unless you have engineering skill.
the reason thats so badly scored is the previous owner didnt know how to set them up. Either the blade was too slack or the bearing was adjusted to rub constantly.

woodpig":3fjyf47g said:
I wonder how tricky it would be to get the bearing mounted the other way round so the blade was running with the bearing rotation rather than on the side.
I've asked before and never got a convincing answer- WHY do so many bandsaw manufacturers mount the back bearing in such a stupid way? Makes no engineering sense at all.

dickm":2g050f4d said:
I've asked before and never got a convincing answer- WHY do so many bandsaw manufacturers mount the back bearing in such a stupid way? Makes no engineering sense at all.

There are three reasons.

1. In many cases it's cheaper or easier to fit the bearing the wrong way round.
2. There is a misconception that it's an advantage to support the back of the blade over a larger area.
3. Stupidity.

Things are gradually changing though and more modern machines have the bearings mounted the "right" way round.

Interestingly the cheapest Record Power bandsaw and their entire professional (Startrite) range has a decent bearing setup. All the rest have a rather nasty and somewhat bulky bearing arrangement. Some folks are happy with them but I hated it on my BS300E. It seems you may now be able to fit the Startrite bearings on some of the Record Power range but I don't know anyone that's done it yet.

Latest posts

Back