Bandsaw BAS316 Castings Distorting

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just to wrap this one up, I found that since the fixing screws are threaded into the distorted casting, the screws remain squint even when the casting was filed square(ish). The squint screws were tending the pull things out of line, which was why it wasn't quite right in the last picture. Putting some form of tapered shim under the screw heads seemed the answer, and at this stage I just used a bit of MDF. The picture from the back shows this, and now it's pretty much spot on. I'm still worried about the long term prospects, with Metabo dropping support, shame because Electra Beckum were really good. However at least I can use it again, which was the main idea.

IMG_1471-CROP-1024_zpsbc1fdb48.jpg

“Proper Job” =D> =D>

MDF is a fairly dense material so I would think it will not give you any compression problems in that application. Aluminium, or the like would be better but I think you said previously you were not into metal work #-o . If it all works out ok, for piece of mind a bit of hardwood will probably last a lifetime.

Well done

Looks like you've got it sorted. As said, hardwood would be a better bet if you get the time. I wouldn't worry about manufacturer support too much. Worst case scenario would have been to upgrade to a third party guide. The main consumables are blades and possibly at some point tyres for the wheels.

Back