Bandsaw Advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveJ

Established Member
Reaction score
I was wondering whether anyone had any experience of the Scheppach Basato 1 bandsaw as I'm considering splurging.

While I can't really even afford this modest beastie a bandsaw would open up so many horizons for me I'm really very tempted. At the moment my 'workshop' consists of a very cheap Clark table saw... and that's it, barring a few hand tools. The table saw does for most operations involving chunky bits of timber, the bandsaw is for sizing those smaller pieces and some resawing of pieces roughly sized on the table saw, plus of course curves etc.

Any advice would be more than welcomed, Steve.

Hello, I have no experience of the b 1, but I do have the Basato 3, which is quite capable, but not he best machine in the world

I am sure someone will be along eventually who has the one you are thinking of, good luck

GT

No first-hand experience from me, either. :( All I can say is that, if you're planning to rip a fair bit of 3in. or 4in. timber then, you may well be better off going for the next model up (probably the Basato 3?) so you're not constantly pushing the machine towards its limitations... In time, like the rest of us, you'll come to learn just how versatile a half-decent bandsaw can be and you will only be kicking yourself one-day for having not bought something 'bigger'. :)

Thanks for the replies chaps.... I read through older posts on bandsaws and that did seem the consensus OPJ, while I understand the point I can't see myself having £400-£500 pounds to spend on a saw any time soon. I might sit it out a while though and keep my eyes peeled for a second hand one.

Steve.

Steve,

second hand is definately the way forward. You can get so much more for your money..........I got a really good 14" bandsaw for £150.

Whatever you buy, make it your first job to put a new blade in it, and check all the bearings (and tyres). Bearings are cheap as chips to replace.

Mike

Morning,

I have one, and as said above i wish i had bought a bigger one :)

saying that though, once i had bought some new blades, it is quite capable.
When cutting anything over above an inch or so thick, you need to feed in slowly otherwise blade gets stuck, but it does do it. max i have cut is 3" with a 4tpi 1/2" blade, took a while, but it did do it.

All depends on why you want one, not good for ripping, but good for most other uses.

Though i am happy with it and as OPJ says, it is so versatile i use it more than my chop saw now, especially free hand.

This was made on it, including the top in about 20 mins

normal_IMG_0143.JPG

SteveJ,
it may help if you gave everyone an idea what part of the country you are in. There may be someone nearby to you with a second hand one for sale.....its worth a try.

GT

Thank you all for your advice - Thats a nice idea GT, I'm in stoke-on-trent not terribly far from Crewe :shock: .

From all the feedback I think I'm going to have to start seriously saving the pennies and keep my eyes peeled :D .

I have previously owned a Basato 3 and sold it to another forum member (Boz) as I wanted more capacity. The Scheppach bandsaws are OK and pretty good value for money, but now I have my Axminster 5300 I realise what it should really be like to use a bandsaw.

The difference is amazing and I think the main reason is that bigger is better with bandsaws as you get more power and the bigger, heavier frame can tension the blade better.

With hindsight I would have either used the money I had when I first purchased for a bigger second hand machine, or just waited until I could afford the right machine new.

Although I've not used one, I suspect you would quickly become frustrated with the capabilities of the Basato 1.

Hope that helps

Ed

I bought a used Kity 613 about 4 years ago for £150 including 10 mixed blades. Pretty good for a 9 inch max depth of cut and it can take a one inch wide blade making it good for re-sawing.

EdSutton":o4n23cnm said:
Although I've not used one, I suspect you would quickly become frustrated with the capabilities of the Basato 1.
Ed

yup :-(

I partly agree Ed. I think second hand, the Basato 3 has been a good choice as a "starter" bandsaw for me. I am learning a lot as I go along, and it seems up to the jobs I've done - I've only broken one blade so far :oops:. I think the performance is good for the second hand price. However, I would be more negative if I'd paid full new price for it. I do think that anything much smaller would be a real struggle, I would have exceeded it's abilities fairly rapidly. I'm not sure starting with a machine the size of your new one Ed, would have helped me - I think I'd have been a lot more daunted by it's sheer scale :). If I ever feel the need to upgrade, I now have a lot better idea what to look for than I did 6 months ago, after an extended play with the Basato3.

The other point about a second hand machine, is that I am happier to start modifying it than I would be a new one :shock:. I'm changing the stand and dust extraction to suit me, I think I would have been more reluctant if it was brand shiny new :)

Boz

Back