Bandsaw access - North West

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Walsh

Reaction score
Hi, folks.

I wasn't sure where to post this so apologies if it's in the wrong place, or if this is even the done thing on these forums. Sorry if I've broken any house rules.

I'm in need of a favour. I've a piece of flamed maple I need to resaw for a guitar build I'm doing and I've only got a tiny bandsaw at the moment. Is anyone out there with a minimum 200mm depth of cut bandsaw able to help me out? I'd happily pay you to make a few cuts if required. It was an expensive blank and rock hard so I'm wanting to avoid hand resawing for obvious reasons. I'm hoping to get at least two bookmatched tops out of it.

Am in north Lancashire but happy to travel if anyone is able to help me.

Or does anyone know of a place that rents out big bandsaws or lets you access them? I've tried a few local cabinetmakers but heard nothing back.

I don't quite have £600 at the moment to buy the one I want so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Haha!

That's very kind of you, Ian. Thanks for the offer! If I don't hear from anyone closer soon, I will be in touch and head your way. I'm in the market for a similar saw so it will be nice to pick up some tips from you as well. I'll get the missus to bake you a cake or something to say thanks :D

All the best

Where in North Lancashire? One thought was that if you are anywhere near Lancaster, someone in the University might be able to help. When I worked there (but that was nearly half a century ago.......) the workshop staff in our Department were always happy to do the odd "interesting" job. But most of my contacts have long shuffled off.

Have you tried the UK Men's Sheds? I've not joined or used it, but heard wonderful things about them.

Have you had tried the folks at Gayle Mill - near Hawes? Its a old school mill run by a charity. Every time I've been, they've been upto something interesting and have the kit.

Also Gary Capstick Joinery in Garstang 01995 600 840 should be able to help.

Sorry, not allowed to post links :-\

HTH

You're all very kind. Thanks for the help.

I'm going to try Lancaster Uni or the place in Hawes this week, but failing that, I will try and meet up with Ian because I want to make this cut perfect after halving it impatiently with a Japanese kataba saw, which wavered a bit and I lost a good 4mm after router planing flat (also need a planer thicknesser!) So now I need to halve the halves at the bandsaw to get two nicely bookmatched tops while retaining as much thickness as I can.

Big bandsaw, planer and drum sander - all on the shopping list at the moment. Been planing guitar neck layers all day and am knackered now, so I can't wait to be able to speed up this process. That said, I do love working with hand tools.

Cheers

Back