Ball-cock Valve.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fred Page

Established Member
Reaction score
Is there such a thing as a perfect ballcock? I'm looking for a super efficient model, one that does not wear out and remains reliable for years ahead. I've just had a domestic flood because the ballcock remained dripping while I was away on holiday and the overflow pipe then dripped back into the house. I can't easily replace the overflow pipe but ask the question whether there's now a more efficient way of controlling the water input than by a traditional ballcock set-up?
Fred

We had a similar problen a while back and the plumber replaced the old ball-cock with a very small plastic one. He said the old style ball-cock valves had been discontinued. It has worked perfectly, but I am realistic in that nothing lasts forever or wont wear out. Your own local plumber should be able tio fit a new style one for you, but I have no idea what make it is.

They all fail eventually - just may take a long time .
In a hard water area it might be sooner .
Can replace the rubber and clean the seat in a traditional valve every 5 years (still very much available)
I think the traditional valve is very good - there are so many out there working (dripping too most likely)
And make sure any overflow does just that when its a drip over.

Sorry to hear of your woes, Fred. Whenever we go away (even overnight) I always turn off the water at the mains stopcock. Still water in the large cold tanks in the loft but at least nothing at mains pressure (such as it is - it's a long way from Wales!)

jimmy_s":37rw31b0 said:
Keraflo make an alternative style of float valve (Aylesbury K type) that is good. Its based on a ceramic valve as opposed to a washer for opening and closing.

http://www.keraflo.co.uk/aylesbury-k-type.html

These are expensive, but good. I fitted one about 15yrs ago in a hotel, the main object being to reduce the noise. The tank was about 500 galls. and the noise when it filled went on and on. With these you still get noise, obviously, but the beauty is that the flow is full bore until the moment it shuts down. To my knowledge it's not been touched in the interim.

I mainly use Torbeck as well but just to put things into perspective:
Traditional valves are still easily available, you plumber is talking through his hat (or just wanted more money!) They are very quick, easy and extremely quick to repair and rarely need the total unit replacing unlike some modern valves and if leaking badly you can temporarily turn the washer over if you don't have one.

They can last a long time. My own house has 3 tanks in the loft, I've been in the house 28 years and have replaced the washers only once, when one started leaking so I did them all. The house was 8 years old when I bought it so not a bad return on a 10p washer!

Your flood was caused by a defective overflow rather than ballcock it seems. The overflow is there as a warning of problems and should be directed so that dripping water falls where it can be easily seen but causes no damage.

I also turn off the mains if I'm away on holiday btw.

cheers
Bob

I know some one who went away over Christmas and had a pipe freeze and flood the whole house including upstairs, it took a year before she could move back in.

Pete

Be careful to check that the new plastic things fit. I bought one - Opella I think, which said it fitted "most cisterns". It fitted nothing ! Would not fit the loft tanks; a step in the side of the tank got in the way. Used a regular brass type. Later needed a new one for a side entry toilet cistern - would not fit. Eventually threw it away unused.

Not a fan of ballcock valves myself. I changed mine and fitted a solenoid operated guillotine valve using a level switch (vertical float style) as a trigger.

MMUK":3mwl7lc5 said:
Not a fan of ballcock valves myself. I changed mine and fitted a solenoid operated guillotine valve using a level switch (vertical float style) as a trigger.

When there is a power cut does it fail open or closed?

RogerS":1ahftn9j said:
MMUK":1ahftn9j said:

When there is a power cut does it fail open or closed?

Fail safe is closed but I do have generator back up. Although last time we had a cut it was for about two minutes and that was about six years ago :lol:

Latest posts

Back