bag press

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lugo35

Established Member
Reaction score
hi all has anyone any experience with bag presses. we are looking to purchase one have had a look at the bag press company, all looks good.

what are the pros and cons and what to watch out/look out for?
any help wouild be much appreciated thanks :)

Hi,

I have a bag press. I bought it about a month or so ago. I'v only used it once to laminate 3 layers of 6mm ply for a boat Hatch. It did a fantastic job. There was a slight riple in the former and it pulled the ply right into it!! So definately plenty of vacum.

In comparison with the air press company, I think is six of one... The air press i believe has been around longer but i think are more expensive, which to be honest is why i went for the bagpress. They are basically simple machines and there is not much to choose between them. The Bagpress has a plastic pipe linking to the pump where as the air press i believe has a rubber or reinforced pipe. I cant think that it makes much difference, only that it would be cheaper to replace the pipe on the bagpress. They both have push fit fittings.

I'm very pleased with mine. It seems well made. As good as the Air press, of which i have had some experience.
I know of makers who do a lot of veneering using vacuum presses and they dont seem to have any problems.

The service from the Bagpress guys was also very good.

Hope that helps, let me know if you need any more info.

Murray

I'd also suggest looking at Joe Woodworker for another take on designing these things (and making your own) or get hold of "The Veneering Book" by David Shath Square (publ. Taunton Press) as it includes loads of useful stuff about vacuum veneering

Scrit

I have an Air Press and I've found it very good. They are manufactured just down the road from me (the pump tho' is a German unit) and have always been great when I've nipped it for advice or an odd spare part - Rob

thankyou all for the help and advice, will study all the info before making any decision :)

Back