Badger Cull

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carl P

Established Member
Reaction score
Recently did well on fleabay, amongst the assorted tools was this badger plane. Now what passes for my workshop is somewhat spatially challenged (has a 4 foot workbench that I have difficulty accessing the ends), this badger plane takes up a lot of room, while I'd like to keep it, it needs to justify it's space, so what can it do that can't be done with the large rebate pictured (badgers iron is 1/2" wider at 1 3/4")?

Cheerio,

Carl

Attachments

• P2040003.JPG
    P2040003.JPG
    158.6 KB · Views: 1,084
Hi,

1, It has a skewed blade and will work very well across the grain.

2. Don't be silly why do you need a reason to keep it.

:wink:

Pete

What are you worrying about?

This is a picture of a workshop with a decent selection of planes, which will show you how to make room. (It's not my own, it's from the excellent blog by W Patrick Edwards who describes himself as "a traditional furniture conservator, restorer and maker.")
As well as the planes, he does have nearly enough clamps!

IMG_0949.JPG

Dangermouse":30hinc8r said:
Are you MAD ! That's not enough clamps by a LONG way !!!! :wink: (hammer)

He does have a few more here....

DSCN2630.JPG

Now I know why I'm always scratting about to find enough clamps - he's got 'em all!

--------------------------------------------

According to George Ellis (Modern Practical Joinery, 1902) a badger plane is a most useful tool for finishing rebates. Not sinking them - he assumes that will be done by machine. Those rebates will, of course, be of joinery scale rather than cabinet scale.

I have a badger plane (inherited) for which, in thirty years of molesting innocent bits of wood, I have yet to find a use. I just can't part with it, though.

Yes, being serious for a moment, I too have a badger plane which I bought for a couple of quid and was my first ever plane restoration job. I've not yet needed to finish any large scale rebates with it, but I do like to know that I'm ready to do so, should the need arise.

Back