Backing up data - which storage system

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tim

Established Member
Reaction score
The move is fast approaching and I am trying to sort out things as I think of them.

I have a backed up copy of my files on an external hard drive but would also like a belt and braces option. I am thinking of this third back up for the main essential files - which probably amount to 4 or 5 gig. Am I better off burning CDs or using a flash memory stick?

Thanks

Tim

That would take a lot of CDs and time!

I have an internal hard drive and an external. The internal hard drive is quicker for backing up rather than using a usb port.

Cost per gig is also cheaper. I also use Nero to schedule a backup every night (as long as the PC is on and logged in) the advantage is the backup can compress the files and so you store more than if you were to copy them.

I have it set so each backup is a file in it's own right rather than an incremental backup - when the disk gets a bit full I delete the oldest backups.

HTH

Dave

At home I have a server which holds all my files, pictures, documents, movies, etc, etc (1TB). Then I have a 2.5"HDD which backs up what I deam as important (100gb) My belt and braces is a straight DVD backup of v.important files such as photos, cv's, certain letters, etc. I don't go in for using Data Backup software, just adds complication IMHO. I have been a geek for about 18yrs and can count any major losses on one hand, all saved by my own backups.

I just use a 500Gb external hard drive for everything but I understand that much bigger dives are now available - Rob

DVD's are alright for 4-8gb (1 or 2 disks)

Memory sticks, I seem to remember aren't particularly reliable - they have a limited number of read writes?

I think these days the cost effective approach is a 500gb external hard drive and just mirror your hard drives (you can get 1tb now)

Dave

Buying a single TB hdd is putting your eggs in one basket. My server consists of 4 500gb drives (2 for RAID)

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm sorry I wasn't clearer in my request. My move is abroad to Canada. I already have external hard drives which I back up to - its a belt and braces solution in case I'm unlucky and the use of transformer/ change in power supply causes a drive problem.

Thanks

Tim

WiZeR":38e592a2 said:
I don't go in for using Data Backup software, just adds complication IMHO. I have been a geek for about 18yrs and can count any major losses on one hand, all saved by my own backups.

Agreed - I just forget to do it so find the scheduling in Nero useful!

Also been geekish since the Atari 420stfm days! (WiZeR - seen you about on the DF forums! - small world! :wink: ) when you had to to backups of backups and then another just in case!! :lol:

Dave

Your only option then Tim is DVD's. Depends how much data you have got, but personally I think the risk is sub-minor.

Or online storage - buy some webspace, zip it (passworded) and upload it - Get to canada and download!

Dave

So do you guys think that backing up to external hard drives should be fine ie unlikely to be an electrical issue?

T

I have customers flying all over the world using laptops and external hdd's. I have never heard of a failure specifically related to power differences. I have had laptops fail with customers in the jungle or iraq, but that's normally abuse given by the user more than anything (followed by abuse to me to get them a replacement). We insist on sensitive data being stored away from the laptop when users are in high profile areas. The external hdd with high level security encryption is the method of choice. Often a laptop will get stolen without thought to the peripherals (which are kept on the users person).

I think you will be fine, if the laptop powers up, then your HDD will work. Tho beware of Murphy's Law :roll: :wink:

Tim

Your external hard disk power supply will have a label on it showing the input voltage range which I suspect will be 110-240v. Irrelevant in your case since you have access to both voltages IIRC! Frequency is unlikely to be an issue. All of these power supplies are switched now and couldn't care less about incoming frequency.

I think you have two alternatives (excluding uploading to an external server somewhere)...

1) a second external hard drive (ideally you have either USB2 or firewire on your PC...for transfer speed). Benefits - you can alternate your backups between them once you get to Canada.

2) an external DVD drive. Benefit - you can slip your DVDs into your carry on luggage so that when they lose all the rest of your stuff, you'll still have your backups.

PM me if you need a hand

Cheers

Roger

Back