Back with a new rig

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KimG

Little Woodworm
Reaction score
The insurance company stumped up a tidy sum of loot and i have been able to put together a new PC that flies! Which means I can now process the images of some recent projects.

This is a goblet/art piece that is a direct take on the work of David Decristoforo whose work I have linked to in previous posts, I really like his designs.
My addition of course is colour!

This item is about 8" tall

DDDesign-1.jpg

DDDesign-2.jpg

DDDesign-3.jpg

DDDesign-4.jpg

Hi

In general I like it, the finish is really nice and the form flows well but I'm not sure about the decoration on the top section, (it's a bit fussy for me and doesn't compliment the rest of the piece), and I think the base would 'flow' a little better if the upper 'shelf' was reduced.

I like the way the colour blends at the stem / body =D>

Regards Mick

I think that's absolutely stunning. The way the base flows, the contrast of the other two very different sections and the colour variations all mingle beautifully. I like the proportions and the skill that's gone into those curves and the finish. Excellent. Extremely well done

Oooo, what have we here! At last someone's made something. There seems to be a bit of a dearth of projects at the moment.

I think it's amazing. I love the combination of the natural top combined with the smooth sedate curves of the lower parts. On my ancient laptop the whole image doesn't appear at once, you start at the top and travel down, and down, and down, it seems never ending until you get to the foot.

I'm not familiar with the work of David Decristoforo but I think I shall have to go and look it up. I'm sure it's not that derivative, Kim. Is that metal leaf on the top bit?

Great piece of art Kim , all looks good to me . Picyures are superb if anything was amiss it would be shown up .

Thank you .

I like that a lot, nice work,i think the colour on the top really makes it,nice to see something a little different.

Geoff :wink:

An interesting and well executed piece. If I was being super picky ( just on a personal taste level ) then I am not sure how I feel about colouring wood. A bit like gilding the lily.......

Still prefer your pixie lamp though :)

Thanks for the comments folks. :)

It is pretty derivative Heather, but appreciate your confidence! :)

Not everyone likes the colouring Graham, it is a personal thing for sure, for me obviously I find it fascinating, I just love how it completely alters the whole piece and enhances the grain patterns. This particular piece was really prety drab uncoloured, so it does actually look better for it, (well, I think it does :) )

The Pixie lamp was fun though! :D

The Metal leaf around the outside, well, I do admit it isn't quite what I'd hoped for, but this process is something that you cannot reverse once you go for it without making a horrible mess, so once I committed to it, I had to follow through, I paid £20.00 for a book of the stuff and I am certainly going to be using it again as I want to get a return for that, it is bound to appeal to someone eventually. I think though that I would prefer to use real gold for something like this, it would go well with the red and look stunning. When I can afford some, and once I have had a bit more experience with the metal leaf I may try that.

Having investigated I can see what you mean, Kim. His are even longer though...

How did you keep the colours separate on the red bit and the gold bit? Are they 2 different pieces? Is the middle bit hollowed?

It's all one piece Heather, and the red bit is solid (hollowing that would make your eyes water! :D ) I did the colouring first, but had sanded and sealed the top section prior to that, (and the inside of the cup too) then I completed the whole object as far as colour and lacquer and buffing was concerned, only then, after all that did I start work on the metal leaf. I applied oil based gold size, left it for 3 hours to get tacky enough and applied the leaf, taking great care when applying the size to only put it where I wanted the metal, the leaf will only stick to the sized areas.

This piece has grown on me Kim,as when i fiirst viewed it earlier in the week i thought,no i don't like that??
The proper gold leaf will make a lot of difference i think and go with the other colours better,so well worth trying again on the next one.
Great work again and finish is superb =D>

As always absolutely stunning finish and very good colouring I am working with colouring myself and this is a work of art that inspires me well done thanks for showing me =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
regards
Bill

Thanks Paul, and Bill, I always appreciate your comments!

Back