Back Panel WIP pic

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodbloke

Established Member
Reaction score
The back panel for the chest has gone in this morning without a hitch...an elm frame with bridle joints at the corners and a pair of bookmatched elm panels. The frame is 14mm thick and is set in just a fraction under the surface of the carcase, if you look carefully at the top right hand corner on the rebate you'll see where I had a bit of 'wobbly router syndrome' :x , but never mind, hardly shows. Finish is two coats of matt (I don't like a shiny finish though a satin version is available) Osmo-Polyx oil which is, now I've tried it, absolutely fabulous stuff. Simply apply a thin coat, take off the excess, let it dry overnight, repeat a second time (no need for subsequent coats etc) allow to thoroughly dry and buff with a duster....sorted :) . Will be my finish of choice from now on for this type of project - Rob

That is a fabulous looking panel for a back. As His Nibs has said, I like the way you have recessed it....how is it held in place?

George - held in with a dab of glue in each corner and one in the middle of each side and then very carefully cramped in place (I used bits of an old mouse mat under the cramping blocks so as not to damage the finish, with very light cramping pressure) - Rob

Waka - the back panel ought to be level with or just slightly below the level of the carcase but not above it, as it wouldn't, in my view, look right - Rob

That looks really classy, Rob. I wonder how many workers would have taken the trouble to use bookmatched panels for the back of a cabinet? This continues to be a very interesting project :D

Cheers :wink:

Paul

PS Glad you decided to go with right-angle corners for the rebate at the back. Now that you have done it, I don't think it would have looked right with curved ones.

Paul - I would normally use a bit of veneered stuff in the back (as would most people, I suspect) but I didn't have any veneer, so I had to do it this way. I also thought tho' that in a piece like this the 'extra mile' was probably worth the effort and it wasn't too difficult to make either. Had I not paneled the back I would probably look at it in years to come and think.... :-k , wish I'd done the back differently. As it is, I'm happy with it, even if I won't see it when it goes against a wall, but at least I know that I done the best I can....besides, gave me a good reason to use Phillys shoulder plane :lol: - Rob

Lovely job Rob.
I started to build up panelled backs on my last couple of proejcts rather than the old sheet of ply, and the difference is well worth the effort.

Latest posts

Back