Back lighting

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KentAndy

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm about to start a new project and was thinking about putting in some lighting. Does anyone know what I would use to get this affect?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 15fffdebfbf1f56da008cf00d167678b.jpg
    15fffdebfbf1f56da008cf00d167678b.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 271
  • 26712d1311199953-floating-shelves-fitted_bookcase_light.jpg
    26712d1311199953-floating-shelves-fitted_bookcase_light.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 271
Here's one I built just before Xmas. My sparks used led tape available from most wholesalers.

23799734869_96d21f30d7_b.jpg

23799732789_2ed33b7ee5_b.jpg

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

Self adhesive LED strip as was stated, tool station amongst others sell it and it is inexpensive and easy. I am told it is possible to implement on variable position shelves also by running the power through the metal shelf supports (it is only 12v so quite safe) but I've not seen this done.

S

+1 for the Tool Station LED's on 3M sticky back or clips.

A point to note or look out for - and it may of been a one off batch problem - Last time I purchased some 300mm strips the heat shrink join at the LED strip to cable had been over-heated and melted the cables - easy to miss and a potential short / fail on install. Unfortunately this was the same with the rest of the stock at my branch. However Tool Station were quick to get a replacement in from another branch.

I have to say Tool Station have excellent customer service when it comes to swaps and refunds ....oh and FREE tea :)

(We won't mention Silverline though ;) )

Cheers Jim

There are 2 different effects there, the top one is front lit, the led strip hidden under the lip of the self ; the bottom one is back lit, probably hidden in a rebate at the back of the shelf.

:lol: at any UK supplier of LED strip being "inexpensive"
Try looking on ebay, from china (top tip, the UK sellers get theirs from the same chinese places), you'll get the strip and power supply and maybe a fancy remote control for 50% less, if not cheaper.
If you feel particularly cautious, get the strip from china and then the PSU/controller from the UK, that way you can atleast insert the PSU into the supplier sideways if it goes awry :) And if you dont believe the chinese CE marks :lol

I have a load of it under my kitchen cupboards and over 3 years its been fine :) Think it cost about £20 all in for 5M of strip, two 240-12V units and a pair of dimmer controllers

I was actually given a few led strips by sheer co-incident.

Chippy1970 I love what you built there! Is it mr-mdf? Have you 7sed edging band or covered the edges elsewhere?

Also, could you tell me a bit about how you have hidden the lights?

this is useful, i want to do something similar on some floating shelves i'm building to.

I'd love to know how chippy 1970 got the edge to those shelves. Presumably it's mdf but how do you get a finish like that at the front and still hide the led strip lights?

KentAndy":5h5v04ok said:
I was actually given a few led strips by sheer co-incident.

Chippy1970 I love what you built there! Is it mr-mdf? Have you 7sed edging band or covered the edges elsewhere?

Also, could you tell me a bit about how you have hidden the lights?

Yeah about 9 sheets of 18 mm and 9 mm butt n bead backs.

All the front face frames are steamed beech. Doors were made from the offcuts of 18 mm with 6 mm panels.

Led tape was just stuck to the back of the 2x1 shelf edges. The wiring is all hidden in between the units ,running down to the drivers under the plinth.

The right hand lower units hide all the multimedia and sub woofer and there's an air con unit in the top unit left of chimney.

I've posted a full wip of it on http://www.festoolownersgroup.com and
http://thewoodhaven2.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=1577

Just search for my name you'll find it.

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

Back