Back in the shed again

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

penman

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

Just spent the afternoon in the shed again.
Here are todays offerings:-

DSCF0211.jpg
DSCF0217.jpg

DSCF0218.jpg

This is 5.5" Dia X 2" deep Olive wood. Finished with Woodwax 22

DSCF0219.jpg

This is 3.75" Dia X 3.26" H in Apple that is just starting to spalt. Finished with Chestnut food safe oil. It is stood on a small plastic box so that the oil doesn't mark the cloth in my light box :D

Hope youall like them.

Malcolm

Beautiful, Malcolm ... isn't olive something really special !
I've only ever done one olive turning, and it cut like butter, producing a wonderful smell whilst doing so, too ..

That bowl is a beauty and (as I understand it ).. not the easiest wood to get a nice finish on, due to its inherant oilyness.
That looks impeccable !

The little box is equally as stunning.. Not tried Apple yet...
how is it to turn ?

Alun 8) :D :D

Hi Alun
Apple is reasonably easy to turn but this piece is a bit soft in places (like me :lol: :lol: ) So as I was trying to hollow it out usin a Len Grantham http://www.turningtools.co.uk/ashleyile ... gtool.html
It was tearing out quiet a bit so the inside bottom (excuse the description) is a bit rough, but this doesn't normally happen. My wife uses several lidded boxes that I have made in apple over the years for keeping sugar etc. in.

Malcolm

Lovely work.

Did you take the pics in a light box? They are still quite dark. Did you have the flash on?

lovely pieces Malc. when you say finished with webwax22 did you use a sanding sealer or something else first. or is straight on with the wax. sorry if this sounds stupid as I have never used web wax 22.As a matter of fact my finishing is a couple of coats of liqued parrifin and danish oil on every thing. Have to read about finishing . REgards Boysie

The bowl is lovely. Again using a simple design allows the beauty of the olive wood come into it's own. Nice bottom (the bowl) as well. The apple pot looks as thouigh it has been stained, at least the apple that I have turned was all paler in colour, maybe mine was the odd one out. You are going to have to change your name if you keep turning things that you can't write with :lol:

Pete

Hi Malcolm,
Two lovely pieces, the olive bowl in particular has a lovely grain to it, and as has already been said with an excellent finish.

Malc :D

Great work

Olive wood is lovely and my local supplier doesn't stock it any more, :( and I have never purchased wood over the internet so don't get to turn it now.

Keep them coming. Brilliant finish.

Take care

Mark

mark sanger":2n6wwzf8 said:
I have never purchased wood over the internet so don't get to turn it now.

Shouldn't be any problems buying over the net. I know it's nice to see it before you buy. But generally these places don't send rubbish. Try Stiles and Bates or Turner's Retreat

Boysie

I sand down to 1200 grit then use 2 or 3 coats of sanding sealer sanding with 1200 grit between coats then 2 or 3 coats of woodwax22 then buff up with kitchen roll.

Vulthoom

I got the Olive from Turners Retreat just after christmas. They are only about 35 miles from where I live :lol: :lol: \:D/ \:D/ So it is just a nice saturday afternoon ride out through some very nice countryside :D :D

Malcolm

Back