Back Flattening

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sgian Dubh":1pjqywpk said:
Far too much anal nit-picking going on in this thread.

Just flatten the bloody things on the back a bit if needed, the flat bit opposite the honed edge, then just sharp'n'go so to speak.

How is it possible to make such a common or garden task so blasted involved? If there's any more analysing and debating of minor details goes on I swear we'll be attempting to raise this straightforward maintenance task into one of the worlds most involved and mysterious arts; an art that requires groups of priests, incantations, zen like chanting and swinging incense holders to achieve.

It's all getting just plain silly. Slainte.
Do you get anal nits too? :lol:
I agree with you SD but we are trying to get back to common sense - don't be impatient :shock:

cheers
Jacob

dunbarhamlin":21tlhr6s said:
Problem is when meanings are reversed it makes communication unreliable.

I'd rather my assets were decimated than halved, but misuse of 'decimate' (reduce by one tenth) has rendered this a foolish assertion in the eye of the majority. Which is right? Both - but common ground must be established before meaningful discourse can proceed.

Steve

Complete agreed. We do have some humpty dumpty's amongst us.

BugBear

Far too much anal nit-picking going on in this thread.
I rarely get involved in such threads--which is why I plopped something like a "define this" so late in the game.

Point is, the unbeveled surface is the face of a chisel, the back is the surface from which the bevel is formed. I know this seems counter intuitive, but this is how my books (older ones) thus define these surfaces.

So I thought there was just a bit of confusion as people were using the terms opposite of the other.

Take care, Mike
back to avoiding such threads...but as is obvious I am not the only person to read through threads such as this nonetheless. Slainte

MikeW":2zpgv528 said:
Point is, the unbeveled surface is the face of a chisel, the back is the surface from which the bevel is formed. I know this seems counter intuitive, but this is how my books (older ones) thus define these surfaces.

One could guess that the usage arose for plane blades, where the unbeveled surface is "forward facing" (in bevel down planes of course). The usage probably carried over to chisels. Of course, I am just making **** up here; guessing.

To confuse things further - in place of "bevel" Ellis uses "basil" which is a corruption of "bezel"; an established alternative acc. to my dictionary

Mr_Grimsdale":21mcfobe said:
To confuse things further - in place of "bevel" Ellis uses "basil" which is a corruption of "bezel"; an established alternative acc. to my dictionary

IIRC Moxon uses "basil", making the usage quite established.

BugBear

Oooh, I go a way for a couple of days and look what happens, lots of confusion around faces and backs.

I've always used back to be the flat part of the chisel that registers against the wood. Actually, I might also use the term face to mean the same thing but prefix it with 'flat'.

Not so sure we are making this so involved though. I only need myself to flatten a back so that simplifies things a bit. I'm only wondering if other people can make the task less onerous. Currently I am starting off with a period of meditation upon the meaning of flatness. Then I sprinkle some iron filings that have been energised within the living wood of a yew tree around the sharpening station. This is an ancient measure designed to ward off rust in the freshly sharpened steel. I then proceed to use the holy movements on the sharpening stone reciting the "Protection Against the Hollowed Stone" mantra. Once flatness starts to appear, I'll perform the Shine Invocation. A new thing I've been trying with some success is to dowse the back of the chisel with a small plumbbob made from mistletoe wood. This will go to and fro if the back is flat but will rotate over areas that are out of true. Seems to be working very well.

This seems to be working well for me, does anyone else do anything different?

I am having some trouble sharpening though, I don't think my pyramid has quite the right dimensions.

David C":1s8pe5qn said:
tsk tsk,

no allignment with ley lines or divination for propitious phases of the moon?

David C

You make a good point there David, if alignment of the tool with a ley line should give better results but to get the best effect you need to clamp the tool in the correct orientation and then move the sharpening stone instead. This can lead to some problems and the need for an Invocation of Stability which has been know to backfire on the user at times so can be a touch dodgy.
You are right about the moon phases though as the Shine Invocation is affected by this giving a better result around the time of the full moon.

BTW, did I mention that the process needs to be performed naked except for a laurel wreath?

mudman":5w2qvakl said:
I am having some trouble sharpening though, I don't think my pyramid has quite the right dimensions.

You must be very careful with an incorrectly sized Pyramid, Electromagnetic frequencies affected by imperfect Pyramidic shape can cause the Pyramid to act as an accumulator which will in turn change the frequencies into a new form of energy which might have unseen consequences. Having said that if you manage to stop the flow of time please let me know as it would help considerably with my current work load :)

Cheers Mike

"Ley" line? Ley is defined as arable land used temporarily for hay or grazing, a variant of "lea." Please help me with this, then we can proceed to "Bob's your uncle." :)

Pam

pam niedermayer":2cb0157k said:
"Ley" line? Ley is defined as arable land used temporarily for hay or grazing, a variant of "lea." Please help me with this, then we can proceed to "Bob's your uncle." :)

Pam

Pam,

Here you go

You can detect and follow them by dowsing using rods or plumb bobs.

Always a good idea to determine if you have any important intersections in your workshop. :wink:

Latest posts

Back