Babies bedroom furniture build

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kernowjoiner24

Established Member
Reaction score
My partner and I are expecting our first child next month and after finding out the good/scary news we set about converting our spare bedroom into a nursery. Naturally wanting it all nice my missus saw a white gloss changing unit and wardrobe set in a mothercare brochure that she wanted, after going to look at it I was disappointed to see it was all chipboard with sharp edges and clunky hinges/runners, (not to mention a snip at £400 + £600 respectively ! :eek: )
Anyway the thought of that made my wallet quiver with fear and we (I) decided I should make some instead ! Cue lots of MDF buying and some late nights in the workshop.

As the time until B-day was getting on we agreed on a simple square design, buscuited and screwed together with a few hardwood bits to set it apart from the usual flat-pack stuff.

I started off with the straightforward 18mm MDF frame, overhanging top with a routered vee round it. Doors the same but with 6mm mock stiles and rails glued on, just resting in place at this stage..

2013-10-26173556_zpsab1abef7.jpg

A couple coats of MDF primer and dulux satinwood top coat..

2013-11-19175948_zps7ba0f1f8.jpg

Painted the doors, fitted hinges and made up a drawer from 150mm melamine and 6mm MDF bottom..

2013-11-19180019_zpsd056b5a6.jpg

I wanted to make the rail around the top from a nice bit of hardwood rather than the chipboard one in the shop so used a bit of euro oak and cut some chunky through dovetails at the corners..

2013-11-21210722_zps95725a09.jpg

2013-11-21210734_zps4006702f.jpg

2013-11-21210728_zps2084b4ab.jpg

An oak door-stop, hafele soft close hinges and cherry knobs finished the unit off !

2013-11-21210703_zpscfaed49e.jpg

2014-01-22183505_zps152fd8c2.jpg

Wardrobe progress to follow ! Thanks for looking, all opinions welcome 8)

Awesome. I'd be well happy with that. We ended up buying second hand as I just didn't have the time. Nice 1

And good luck with the pending arrival

(B-day.....like that)

Very nice indeed and good luck on B-Day. Also looking forward to the wardrobe wip. Nice touch on the dovetails. I bet the hole cost was a sinp compared to the £400 mothercare wanted.

Thanks for the replies and for the luck, I think im going to need it !

Units were very cheap in comparison, most of the MDF was left over from jobs I've had at work, admittedly I might have slightly over-ordered on the odd job in preparation for the build... :wink:
I reckon the pair hasn't cost any more than a hundred quid, its just the hours involved in doing it.

Wardrobe progress.. After struggling to get the first unit up my double winder stairs I decided to make the wardrobe 'flat pack' and assemble and paint it in situ.

First I cut the three uprights & top and bottom, biscuited and drilled everything off, routered the vee'd edges and sanded everything up.

I then assembled it in the bedroom, with dry biscuits and screws and cups. Please excuse the poor photos we've got a rubbish energy saving bulb in there !

2014-01-14205734_zps6de98222.jpg

The next day I cut and glued up the doors and cut the shelves in work..

2014-01-15180130_zps6b07ddc6.jpg

And painted everything over the next couple of days. I hung the doors, and put the shelves in..

2014-01-22183412_zpsab1265b4.jpg

2014-01-22183332_zps349c869a.jpg

After the missus and mother-in-law had been let loose on it !

2014-01-25173159_zpsc9e68c72.jpg

Just left to do now is a small strip of oak across the top to match the changing unit, it wont be as high maybe an inch with a single dovetail perhaps ? Not sure yet.. Were really pleased with them though and I think I've accrued some more brownie points on the quiet.. :lol:
Im not off the hook yet though, there was talk of a wall mounted shelving unit in the same style, and said mother-in-law has decided she might like a new corner wardrobe at her house.. The tradesman's curse ?! :roll:

Thanks for looking !

Very nice, we had (and still have some of) the chipboard variety - very overpriced for what you get.

Making a wall shelf while you are at it is a good idea. My 8 year old still uses his - toys and photos on the shelf and hang some of his clothes on the knobs underneath.

Good luck.

DT

A really excellent and well thought out build on both items.
With work like that you should be always busy! Regards Rodders

Many thanks for the comments they are much appreciated ! Im really happy with how theyve come out to be honest, especially with the painted finish. Ive not painted furniture before but would definately recommend the dulux satinwood i used. took a couple days to dry properly but brushes out nice and seems pretty hard wearing.

I measured up for a replacement louvre and t&g boarded door job earlier today, looks an interesting project so will do a w.i.p on it as i go.

Thanks for looking 8)

They look fantastic! We've got a 6 month old and we bought this chest of drawers from ikea for his room http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/50067168/. Everytime I go in his room it jumps out at me that the drawers are wonky and they arent adjustable. Well worth making your own if you can!

I'm going to have a go at a cupboard myself. How do you treat the cut (fluffy) edges of the MDF? I know you have said you routered and vee'd the edges but was that just to form a shape or to get a cleaner cut? Hope that makes sense?

Thanks, yes ill be posting a picture of the new arrival !

The ikea unit certainly looks the part but home made will be better ! The best way ive found to treat the 'fluffy' edges of the mdf was to paint just the edges of the components first, sand smooth with 180 grit on a block once dry then paint the whole thing with primer. By the time you get gloss on the edges are sealed smooth. I used a dulux mdf wood primer which was pretty good.

What a lovely, lovely baby! I hope you have lots of fun and are always good friends.
you're a lucky man! All the very best. Rodders

Thanks for the kind comments, both myself and mum are over the moon. Its amazing how such a small bundle of joy makes such a massive difference to your life ! :D

Back