B&Q vs Homebase.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rpfn140378

Established Member
Reaction score
Both B&Q and Homebase doing 20% off. Today I received an email from B&Q ofering 15% when you spend over £50 for club members. Then I received by post a letter form homebase offering 20% off after the sale price from 26th of December for a week. It will be interesting to see what deals will come around. 

The only problem is that both have prices which are more than 20% higher than elsewhere to start with.

I popped in to B&Q the other day as I was passing to get a couple of drawer handles for a table I'm making. I had looked at Screwfix catalogue and the ones I wanted were £2.99 for 2. In B&Q the same items were £5.99 for 1!! :shock:

I also needed some Danish Oil. Rustin's 500ml in Axminster is £7.50. Same in B&Q was £12.99!!

Yep, B&Q, Homebase and to some extent Wickes are places of last resort for most things, much better pricing at Toolstation, Screwfix etc.

Cheers, Paul

Hi, I'm reluctant to buy mail order because of the postage on smaller quantaties.
But looking at those prices and the half gallon of petrol I would use going to B & Q
I should buy mail order more often.
Doesn't B & Q own Screwfix !!!????
Cheers John.

My nearest B&Q (or Homebase for that matter) is approximately 40 miles away. There would have to be enormous savings to justify visiting either; when I get there I do not like the quality of most of the stuff anyway.

johnwc812":1p2qis5q said:
Doesn't B & Q own Screwfix !!!????
Cheers John.

Yes they belong to the same group. Screwfix have branches everywhere now, too, so B&Q and HB are not any more 'convenient' most of the time!

B&Q prices are normally much higher than our local, long-established hardware shop, which is my first choice for everything that they sell. This even applies to paint, which they advertise so much to make you think that it's cheap.

I didn't know that B&Q and screwfix are the same group. Will order a catalogue from them to compare prices. 

rpfn140378":1hhdmkjc said:
I didn't know that B&Q and screwfix are the same group. Will order a catalogue from them to compare prices. 

personally i find tool station a bit cheaper, and free delivery over a tenner is useful. normally next day delivery too.

Toolstation and Wickes are both owned by Travis Perkins. The Toolstation catalogue now includes some Wickes branded products. The corporate website http://www.travisperkinsplc.co.uk/Our-Businesses lists the rest of the group companies which include BSS, PTS and Tile Giant.

We may not have much competition, but we do have plenty of market segmentation!

I went in to our local Screwfix depot last week to ger a 5mm dia wood bit. Filled out order form and gave it to the approx 25 year old male assistant. He entered the code and said it was a set of 5 x 85mm drill bits. I assured him it wasnt and at £2.04 that would at least given him a clue. He was most insistant and said he was going into the system to double check. I told him not to bother as I knew I was right. He processed the order and a couple of minutes later his colleague gave me the drill bit. I showed it to the original sales assistant and told him thats what it looked like and 85mm was the length not the diameter. I dont know where they get their assistants from but at least they could give them a bit of training!
I think he must have worked in the oil industry before being promoted to work in Screwfix as this is about the size of drills they use when drilling for oil.

B&Q vs Homebase? Isn't that a re-run of Alien versus Predator?

Couple of recent examples; chainsaw oil £10 for 5 litres in Homebase, none in stock in B&Q. Local garage, £5.
Solid brass hinges, 1" long; only pressed ones in B&Q. Local garage, 66p a pair.

Mind you, our local garage also sells bicycles, plumbing materials, fencing materials, paint, electricals, herbicides, pesticides, protective clothing.......... oh, yes and some motor parts.

Did once ask for something they hadn't got in stock, but they knew a man who might have it!

Keep it local.

rpfn140378":1ddnzejj said:
Both B&Q and Homebase doing 20% off. Today I received an email from B&Q ofering 15% when you spend over £50 for club members. Then I received by post a letter form homebase offering 20% off after the sale price from 26th of December for a week. It will be interesting to see what deals will come around. 

Does this offer "End Sunday" no rush, it'll start again on Monday.

Andy

Back