B&Q Electric hand planer - Blades

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alie Barnes

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a Electric hand planer that needs new blades. its quite old and made by Black and decker. I dont know what the model number is. So not sure hwta blades i need. are there generic blades that i can buy that would fit or is there a way to find out the model number?

Thanks all

Axminster here claim that they are mostly generic:

"all power tool makers buy them from limited sources with the result that the knives are a universal size and fit most makes of machine other than some DeWalt Planer and Elu MFF81"

Worth a try for a fiver (plus postage :evil:) ?

Boz

They generally are the generic 82*5.5*1.1 variety, but there are other lengths available, e.g. 50mm, used on some battery powered planers and in CNC router tooling.

Largest I use is 82mm, smallest is 20mm, all the same 5.5*1.1 section, only the length changes.

Only major exception I can think of is Festool, who use a custom spiral cutting block, otherwise all the planer knives I've seen have been the same section (and mostly 82mm length).

You can take an oversized blade and shorten it, clamp it in a vice at the desired length and break the excess off (wear eye protection and gloves), but only in an emergency, best to get the right length in the first place.

Also, don't forget that you can turn the blades over and use the other side.

I have had a similar problem getting blades for the B&Q Red Eye (or something similar) "own brand" only to find B&Q don;t supply it anymore, and the manufacturer doesn't make it... :roll:

So I tried buying a better model off the 'net, only to fing the blades I got from eBay (for the new planer-to-be) fitted my old planer - cancelled order, and got a fivers worth of coupon code in response!

82mm long, width and thickness unsure, but most likely as posted above - £4.25 a set (of 2) + free postage! So I got three sets :oops: :lol:

Back