Axminster's Valchromat "MFT": any owners out there?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eric The Viking

Established Member
Reaction score
Bristle, CUBA (the County that Used to Be Avon)
I mean this:
717978_xl.jpg

I really like the idea, but I haven't been able to get down to Axminster to look at one yet, and anyway they're frustratingly still out of stock at the moment.

It seems to me that the twist-lock dogs are probably overkill, apart from fitting to the sides of the complete table (and anyway I have Parf dogs and Veritas ones waiting to be used!). But I've no experience, yet...

... so has anyone bought one and, if so, could you comment on it, please?

E.

Yes. I'm not sure about the trestles at all, but the top/torsion box looks handy. They have plans for a wooden base (legs go into the corners), whic would do me. The other issue with the trestles is levelling - my garage, er, workshop floor is far from flat or level, and eight feet would be a pain.

So I guess I'm interested to know how the wooden(ish) bits are really.

E.

How does the price compare to their tool kit for making your own? If they are similar then for the cost of the MDF you could design your own top and replace it as often as you need.

I could, but two things apply: one is accuracy - tricky to do, and the other is the time it might take.

Of course, I could also get the kit and use the holes as a template for a "working copy" from MDF or similar and keep the Valchromat one back, but I suspect I might just use it. It's the work of a moment to slip some sacrificial hardboard on top, anyway.

I'm still keen to hear from anyone who's actually bought one...

Hi Eric
I bought only the Birch ply part. (that is the box part black in the photo) and used it with a mdf mft replacement top bought of eBay for £30 the holes on the Axminster MFT line up perfectly with my replacement top. I am happy with mine well built and accurate, the holes in the side is a great help.
I will construct a workbench cum cabinet to mount it on.

I saw one the other day. The twist dogs are a bit odd. When in and twisted they are a good tight fit. I am however not sure why you need to lock them and when they aren't locked there is play in them. Not sure if it works ok with Parf dogs etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I own the valchromat top only as I have decided to build my own bench based on the paulk design which will have a extended work surface and storage with a wheeled base. I bought the non twist version top as I intend to use regular dogs. The material is of a heavier more solid feel than regular mdf and has a nicely machined grid. I will post photo's when completed.

Just bumping this thread, as Axminster have them back in stock and I (apparently) now have the funds! I'd be going for the simple-holes version, probably, with a couple of twist-dogs for the frame's holes, but I'm still undecided about the trestles, although they'd probably be useful for other purposes too.

Several people mentioned they were thinking of buying, and I wondered if, after four months, someone might care to do a "long-term test" type of review.

Optimistically,

E.

I'm also interested to hear how the Valchromat tops work out in practice.

Valchromat is not as dense, I believe, as the HDF original MFT tops are made from. I wonder if the through colour is a cosmetic issue and no real benefit.

I'd be interested to hear if anyone has made a top from Mediate Tricoya Extreme, which sounds more stable and humidity resistant.

Is there a reason why baltic birch ply isn't more used? It's 3x the stiffness of HDF and moisture resistant.

Andrew

Back