Axminster vs kity planer?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

_lotusbleu

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
Looking to get myself a planer/thicknesser on a budget, mainly for furniture making, so it'll need to be up to taking rough boards. Saw Axminster have their AW 106 PT2 for sale at around £800, which makes it tempting. I wouldn't want to go too much over that kind of price.
It seems to get good reviews, but my gut is telling me to go for a second hand planer that has stood the test of time!
I was thinking of a Kity 638 that I've seen for sale.

Anyone got any advice or experience with these machines?

Cheers.

no experience with either. but if you are considering secondhand, look at the inca 570, which comes with the tersa cutter head in it. Then look no further!

the first thing to look for with the incas is the motor on the side, rather than below, then how many blades it takes (tersa was generally 3 blades, but mine has 2 tersa blades in) (I think that mine is a 560 rather than the 570, but ...)

On another site somebody recently said they had bought the AW106PT2 and had some issues with it. However, the main point I would raise is that when he told Axminster of the issues they said they could not just swap it as the product line was coming to an end. I note they are out of stock centrally and on low stock in the stores, so if you want one best get in quick.

Terry.

Latest posts

Back