Axminster TS-200?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leverb01507

Established Member
Reaction score
I know there has been a lot written about this saw in the past on the site but i am currently looking at upgrading and was wondering if those of you who have one could tell me what is good/not so good about it as i have been looking through old threads for hours and still seem no wiser.
The other options are a Kity equivalent or possibly the new Charnwood if it seems worth the extra (it would mean a bit more saving though and ill wait to read Andy Kings review as well before i spend double).
I tend to keep my table saw in one place so portability isn't too critical but despite this as much as i would love it i definitely cant afford the sip for the foreseeable future.
Also has any one got the Axminster AW10BSB2 as it seems like a cheaper alternative to the sip?
Thanks for your time guys,
Ben.

Andy King has given a favourable review of the new Charwood W650 very recently on this forum - Rob

A wise decision to wait for Andy's review. I think that issue is due out within the next two weeks?

If you could afford the saw and have the space for it then, it looks like you would benefit from a 3in depth of cut with the Charnwood. among other things. Some TS-200 owners don't like the short rip fence, which is why they (or, wizer, at least :wink:) have spent extra on an after-market fence from Axminster (£30-50?). Like with the Kity 419, owners has also found that extraction improves on this saw once you seal up all the gaps below - though, there may be a similar issue with this new Charnwood saw; we just don't know yet.

It basically looks like a step up from the Kity 419 and its clones so, I don't think you'd go wrong if you do end up buying it. :wink: It also got a brief mention in this month's British Woodworking (along with a new spindle moulder) though, without meaning to sound critical or disrespectful, Nick's reviews don't always offer the same "depth" as Andy's...

The TS-200 could be so much better than it is. A few minor design changes would make is a really good option for people with restricted space or limited budget. It's let down by it's rip fence (short fence or not) and it's dust collection. Other than that it's good and if you read both mine and RobertMP's fettling thread you can get this saw up to usable standards for little or no cost.

I have now settled on this saw as a compromise between space and budget. It does most of what I need. One day I will upgrade to a proper saw like a DEFT/XCalibur or SIP. But for the time being I'm content with this saw.... No really, I am ;)

I have our fettled TS200 for sale at the moment (£150) - tho it needs to be collected from oxon, and stevie B has first dibs

as regards the benefits/draw backs check out the thread kity 419 vs Ts200 - I did a big comparrison on there as i have both, the kity at home and the TS at work (tho the latter is upgrading to mIles_hot's tablesaw shortly)

i suspect they are talking about the record ts200 - we are talking about the axminstwer power ts200 - different machines just coincidental names

The TS200 is my first proper table saw so i can't give any comparisons. However I have now used it a fair bit and I'm reasonably pleased with it.

Biggest plus is the size. It is small enough to make into a combined router table and saw bench on a mobile base that can act as more work surface when not in use. Result is I've added a table saw and not lost any workshop space.

Negatives are mainly about accuracy. As Tom says the fence is too small and I have a hard time keeping a panel running against it without wandering on a long cut. For ripping timber its not really a problem as you can work in a position where you can guide it better.

I've made hook on / off brackets for the sliding table. This means I can take it away when not needed and replace it easily back in an accurate fashion ready to use. Size is an issue with the table fitted so i can't just leave it on. On the plus side it does add an accurate way of square cutting up to 2ft widths (actually 660mm)

The modified dust extraction is pretty good too. The only dust escaping is thrown up by the back of the blade and not captured by the crown guard which has a poor design for extraction.... so a home made crown guard that clips on and off is on the to do list.

Having bought it so cheap on ebay i certainly can't complain but I don't think I'd be complaining if I'd bought a new one either.

For what its worth, not owning any of these table saws...
The review in this months good woodworking does paint a very nice picture of the Charwood W650. its a shame it doesnt have any miter slots, not sure if that matters.

The main difference for me is the price, its double the cost of the TS-200 and at the 650 mark isnt it better to start to consider the SIP 01332?

For me, being my first saw, im going for either the TS-200, or if i can find one at the right price, the Kity 419. Just need to work out the exact differences in performance and accuracy of the old vs new versions of it.

sasq":18cek0pl said:
The review in this months good woodworking does paint a very nice picture of the Charwood W650. its a shame it doesnt have any miter slots, not sure if that matters.

If you can lock the sliding beam (to stop it from sliding) then, I'd assume you could use the slot in that, if you wanted to? I don't think Andy mentioned whether the table can be locked or not.

I agree with your thoughts on the pricing but then, the question of space comes in to the equation... :)

sasq":1s1ede6s said:

The main difference for me is the price, its double the cost of the TS-200 and at the 650 mark isnt it better to start to consider the SIP 01332?

For me, being my first saw, im going for either the TS-200, or if i can find one at the right price, the Kity 419. Just need to work out the exact differences in performance and accuracy of the old vs new versions of it.

I haven't read Andy's review yet, but I thought he'd be impressed with it...I was. The issue of the mitre slot is important if your a jiggy type of user on the table saw. I'm not and never have been so it's unimportant to me. The SIP or it's Ax equivalent (complete with mandatory sliders) take up a lot more room and are a lot heavier (both of which are important issues for me) I used to own a K419 (the original Francaise version) and it is a good little saw, if limited in it's capacities. The new Charnwood actually has a smaller footprint than the Kity, if you consider the extension tables - Rob

Thanks for the informative comments relating to the Axminster TS-200. Having looked at 'table saws' by Charnwood, JET & Makita, I finally decided on the Axminster TS-200 saw earlier this week. When it arrived two days later I suddenly realised how heavy 55kg actually is in terms of the 'dead weight' of a machine!

Prior to ordering, I contacted 'those who know' at Axminster and was informed that most, if not all, of the glitches mentioned in reviews have now been corrected. Apparently APT have now switched to another manufacturer.

It took several hours to set up the saw, including a blade change to an Axcaliber blade. It was time to connect up to the power! What a silent saw compared with the Charnwood, JET, Bosch and Makita! It gave a clean and accurate cut for the task set. Something tells me that, like other Axminster products that I own, this saw will deliver good service for many years to come. (hammer)

Once again, thanks to all those of you who have posted comments about the TS-200 over the months! You've saved me a pound or two!

Back